achieving warm colours... how to?

AussieFreelancer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aussiefreelancer.com.au
Hi all, last week I bought the Sony a100 :D The camera of my dreams for the last 18months :) So now I just need to work out how to use it properly. Yesterday I went out near sunset to take some photos of kangaroos. There was a great setting with some kangaroos in dried grass, with a really warm colour from the sun turning everything a golden colour.

However my photos didnt capture that warmth. I tried to play with the shutter speed and aperture, but to no avail. Does anyone have any handy hints for achieving more warmer colours?

Thanks

Patrick

I'm no expert but I think you'll achieve what you want through changing the white balance, essentially it shifts towards red (warmer) or blue (cooler) according to the setting (light type) you choose.

No you can change your white balance in the camera. The camera will try to auto whitebalance things out of the box so if you photograph a white sheet of paper at sunset or in the shade it'll still be white. (note: I hate autowhitebalancing)

Ideally you want to shoot in RAW mode so you can change your white balance AFTER you take the photo. But if you're not up for that then just set the white balance as you see fit. There should be a button somewhere for it on the camera. If you're at your next sunset and your colours look cold set the white balance to "daylight" and take the photo again. If it's still too cold set the white balance to "shade". The shutter and aperture make no difference here.

My camera is always set in daylight unless i'm not happy with the photos. This gives neutral colour out in the sun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back