Acquired a lens.. no idea what to do with it

Zada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My grandmother sent me a big lens... and I haven't the slightest clue what I can do with it. My dad said it is a telephoto lens. I'm a huge Noob.... I've never even used different lenses before.

Auto Coligon MC Zoom 1:4.5 f=80-205mm No. 713607

That is the information on the inside of the lens. If you know anything about it .. or even if I can still use it let me know!!

Thanks so much!

Oh, it also says - Optical Filter Skylight (1A) on it :)

The focal length is 80-205mm, so it's a telephoto zoom lens.

The Maximum aperture is F4.5

Oh, it also says - Optical Filter Skylight (1A) on it
That's a filter that is screwed onto the front of the lens.

What type & brand of camera do you have?

From a quick search, it looks like this may be a 'third party' lens, which could be used on different camera brands...depending the mount that it has on the back.

Have a look at the back and see if you can identify they type of mount that is has. Maybe take a photo and post it up here.

what kind of camera do you have? That would help.

Also, the skylight (1a) is not the lens itself...that's the filter on the end of the lens.

DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0862.jpg

DSCF0861.jpg

There are the pictures.

Camera wise... I'm borrowing a camera - S602 Fujifilm Digital
and then I have an old film camera - Canon EOS Rebel G
I hope those are the names of them.. :blushing:

I'm quite sure it's an Olympus mount.

So it'd only work with an olympus camera?

Unless you want to buy an adapter, which would be a waste of time and money, especially considering the lens isn't very good to begin with and is worth next to nothing. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Unless you want to buy an adapter, which would be a waste of time and money, especially considering the lens isn't very good to begin with and is worth next to nothing. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hahaha ! No worries :) Its an ancient lens ... just thought It'd be nice if I could make use of it. Thanks for the info!

Max, I think you might be mistaken on the mount. It looks an awful lot like a Nikon mount. I'm pretty sure it is not autofocus as I don't see a drive slot. The lens might have an auto aperture mechanism, but I can't be sure since I can't quite make out the aperture leaver. The lens should work fine on any Nikon body but you might have to use stop down metering.

Max, I think you might be mistaken on the mount. It looks an awful lot like a Nikon mount. I'm pretty sure it is not autofocus as I don't see a drive slot. The lens might have an auto aperture mechanism, but I can't be sure since I can't quite make out the aperture leaver. The lens should work fine on any Nikon body but you might have to use stop down metering.

What is stop down metering??? Thanks for the info!
Can't be ancient if it is a zoom....

Looks to me as a Nikon mount as well...

I was exaggerating... but its fairly old if it was my grandfathers. He passed away in 1991 and I don't think he used it for a few years before that.

So if I were to get my hands on a Nikon one day.. I could use it?:)

I may be wrong, but it looks like maybe a T-Mount Nikon. If it is "T" mount, the T adapter could be exchanged for an adapter of your choice. But as already mentioned, it would be a waste of money. As it is, sit it on a shelf and keep it knowing it was your grandfathers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back