Active D Lighting

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm really confused about this. I asked someone in another forum what she used for lighting and she said she used active d lighting..... ???? Doesn't ADL just enhance contrast, or correct lighting conditions in camera? Her shots were really nice it looked like she used studio lighting! Can someone explain?:confused:

Doesn't ADL just enhance contrast, or correct lighting conditions in camera?

Yep. It's about the same as Canon's "Auto Lighting Optimizer" and just basically adjusts the curves - something you should be doing in post (if needed) anyway. I guess it's good for people who are lazy or inexperienced and like to shoot in JPG and not edit...

Care to link to the forum post you mentioned, maybe we can take a guess at her lighting/processing?

I would guess that it's probably a simple mis-understanding. Perhaps the responder meant i-TTL and/or CLS (Nikon Creative Lighting System; lighting using Nikon speedlights).

I'm really confused about this. I asked someone in another forum what she used for lighting and she said she used active d lighting..... ???? Doesn't ADL just enhance contrast, or correct lighting conditions in camera? Her shots were really nice it looked like she used studio lighting! Can someone explain?:confused:

Her photos looked nice for many others reasons besides just the camera setting called Active D lighting.
Video Nikon D300 Active D LIghting Segment

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back