actor headshots questions

singer1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I was wondering about the a good lens for actor headshots- budget is a factor - I have a canon rebel xti with the 18-55 kit lens- will this suffice for now? I am learning photography and want to practise on my actor friends, and am ultimately drawn to people as subject matter.

Also, what would be a good starting kit for lighting headshots- any help would be appreciated. thanks!!

If you are still just learning then use the kit lens you have.

There are rules for doing actor headshots as they are ment to be viewed by agents and producers. It is NOT portraiture. Use very flat lighting. No jewelery allowed. Black clothing is the norm. No hair over the eyes. Show there look.

Here is a set I did that the agent loved. Photography Website Template

Hope this helps.

DeadEye

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, nice pics! I am an actress & musician and have done a lot of shoots on the other side of the lens:), and have worked in casting, so I'm very familiar with a lot of the specific requirements for headshots from agents, etc.

I guess I'm wondering mostly what lenses people prefer to use and what kind of lighting set up- a lot of photographers here in LA do natural lighting- some do studio... any suggestions would be great. thanks!

id say as far as lenses anything above 50mm should be ok anything lower than that will look distorted. as far as lighting just make sure the face stands out from the background and there is no shadows so if you use a flash make sure your background is lit too.

Most reactions

Back