Adapting Lecia R lenses to Nikon F

Seth Baldwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon F6 and was wondering if it would be possible to adapt Lecia R lenses to F mount for the F6.

Am I able to adapt all Lecia R lenses? Will the mirror be an issue? Will the Nikon F6 cater to the Lecia's manual focus and aperture without issue? What brand of adapter should I go with? Any other limitations i should know about?

Cheers.

Give these guys a yell. Haven't done it yet so no personal details but they've been around for awhile.

Leitax
It's worth pointing out Leitax sell mount replacement kits not adapters. Leica R has a registration of only 0.4mm more than Nikon F. The limited info I have on R mount indicates the mount is wider than Nikon's so the rear of the mount can't be recessed. Any adapter will need optical elements to reach infinity focus, such adapters are generally of little use, which is why Leitax offer their own workaround.
The R mount is so wide that there are few (if any) SLR mounts it can be adapted to EF or Minolta AF might be possible. Nearly all mirrorless cameras can adapt to R-mount easily.

Give these guys a yell. Haven't done it yet so no personal details but they've been around for awhile.

Leitax
It's worth pointing out Leitax sell mount replacement kits not adapters. Leica R has a registration of only 0.4mm more than Nikon F. The limited info I have on R mount indicates the mount is wider than Nikon's so the rear of the mount can't be recessed. Any adapter will need optical elements to reach infinity focus, such adapters are generally of little use, which is why Leitax offer their own workaround.
The R mount is so wide that there are few (if any) SLR mounts it can be adapted to EF or Minolta AF might be possible. Nearly all mirrorless cameras can adapt to R-mount easily.

I can pick between Nikon F (F6) and Canon EF (EOS 1V) which are both film cameras with mirrors. Do you think the Canon EOS 1V will be a better bet? Not to find an adapter, but to adapter the Lecia lens mount it self to EF. Nikon F would definitely be more desirable but if it can't cater I'll just go with Canon EF with a mirror.

Leitax

I can pick between Nikon F (F6) and Canon EF (EOS 1V) which are both film cameras with mirrors. Do you think the Canon EOS 1V will be a better bet? Not to find an adapter, but to adapter the Lecia lens mount it self to EF. Nikon F would definitely be more desirable but if it can't cater I'll just go with Canon EF with a mirror.
EF mount will take a much larger range of adapted lenses than F mount, Most SLR lenses adapt to Canon EF (exceptions include FD & AR) hardly anything to Nikon F without additional optics.
If you're specifically after adapting a Leica R lens then it's worth searching for adapters before committing. It may be even EF can't manage a normal adapter (even 2.9mm doesn't give a lot of room if the bayonet tabs/rear of the lens gets in the way) - I've never investigated as I use 'Leica Thread Mount' & 'Leica M' but not 'Leica R' If you where to go the Leitax route to change the R-mount to F mount then the modified lens should adapt to EF as well.

Leitax

Leitax says their mounts allow infinity focus and contain no elements.

From the linked page.

Leitax said:
-This conversion is fully reversible and will not damage either the lens or the camera.
-The Leica-R lenses will focus to infinity and will maintain the aperture click stops
-The Nikon cameras will show a focus confirmation light in the viewfinder.
-The professional Nikon cameras (D200 and up), and FujiFilm S5Pro, will meter in A and M modes (stop-down) the newer models can use Auto-Iso as well.
-Users of non professional Nikon cameras (D40, D80, D90, D5000, etc) can select Manual mode and check the histogram of a test shot to meter accurately. It is possible to meter with these cameras with a chip on the Leitax mount.

This image appears to show a Leica R mount on a Nikon D800 fitting quite well. There are lenses that will not work/clear the mirror. If you refer to the list on the laft side of the page it has links to individual lenses that have been fitted with the adaptor and work. Any shortcomings or limitations are duly noted. Take a deeper look at them.

D800-Summicron50.jpg

Leitax

Leitax says their mounts allow infinity focus and contain no elements.

From the linked page.

Leitax said:
-This conversion is fully reversible and will not damage either the lens or the camera.
-The Leica-R lenses will focus to infinity and will maintain the aperture click stops
-The Nikon cameras will show a focus confirmation light in the viewfinder.
-The professional Nikon cameras (D200 and up), and FujiFilm S5Pro, will meter in A and M modes (stop-down) the newer models can use Auto-Iso as well.
-Users of non professional Nikon cameras (D40, D80, D90, D5000, etc) can select Manual mode and check the histogram of a test shot to meter accurately. It is possible to meter with these cameras with a chip on the Leitax mount.

This image appears to show a Leica R mount on a Nikon D800 fitting quite well. There are lenses that will not work/clear the mirror. If you refer to the list on the laft side of the page it has links to individual lenses that have been fitted with the adaptor and work. Any shortcomings or limitations are duly noted. Take a deeper look at them.

D800-Summicron50.jpg

They talk about the F4 and F5 but no mention of the F6. Trying to decide which mount is correct for the F6 since they have so many options. Any help?
I'm specifically wanting to modify the mount of these following Leica lenses to the F6;

Summicron-R 35mm F2
Summicron-R 50mm F2
Summicron-R 90mm F2

These are the options that seem most relevant which they supply:

Attachments

• a078158c5ea0b62ed640c6c7994710b9.png
    a078158c5ea0b62ed640c6c7994710b9.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 337d55e39147a121373e8a0ccac26a61.png
    337d55e39147a121373e8a0ccac26a61.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 83
  • abe53be4b5b32ec6469cbaacc04f4ee9.png
    abe53be4b5b32ec6469cbaacc04f4ee9.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2ac413080224b2099870811505874c51.png
    2ac413080224b2099870811505874c51.png
    38 KB · Views: 80
I have adapted most of my Leica 2-cam lenses to Nikon F with Fotodiox replacement mounts - "Leica R - Nikon (FOPNFARLR)". About $30 each. Not sure if they are still available. Had to remove the cams and baffles, not really practical to restore to original. I'm limited to stop-down metering and shooting at the working aperture, which is fine for what I use these lenses for, I use them with Nikon F, F3, F4, F5 and Df bodies - The F6 is a step too far backwards for my likings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back