Adding Borders Tutorial

SlySniper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
elvir.bravehost.com
[FONT=&quot]Adding Borders[/FONT]​
Version: Photoshop CS/CS2

It seems to be a very hard for many people to add borders to their works in Photoshop. Here, I will give you a quick way to add a nice black and white border to your photoshopped pictures or whatever you’re working on.

This is what I began with:
catwithouboarder2aa.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

Step 1: First of all, open whatever the thing is you want to add a border to.

Step 2: Determine what size you want your picture to be. A good sized picture to put on the internet is about 600x400. To resize it, go to Image, Image Size and (a new window should pop up) change it to whatever size you want it to be. It doesn’t have to be 600x400, but somewhere close to make the border look good. Click OK.
imagesize5is.jpg
convertingsize0qc.jpg

Step 3: A) Now comes that actual border part. We want to make this an action. (An action is something that Photoshop does to a picture with a click of a button, like, if I had a action to change the picture to black and white when I pressed F4, it would happen.) Open your actions window (Alt+F9) and click on the New Actions Button as shown in the red circle below.
actionswithredcircle4ye.jpg

B) Now, a new window should pop up. In the Name part, put Frame, and in the Function Key, select F3. Leave everything else alone. Click Record. Now everything you do to the picture will be recorded.
newaction5sl.jpg

Step 4: A) Now that it’s recording, go to Image, Canvas Size, and from there, it’s really simple. When this window pops up, set the width to 5 and the height to 5. Also, change the measurements from Inches to Pixels (the red circle). Also, also change the “Canvas extension color” to black (the blue box). Click OK.

B) Again, go to Image, Canvas Size, but this time, make the width and height 3 pixels and change the “Canvas extension color” to white. Click OK.

C) Once more, go to Image, Canvas Size, and this time, make the width and height 12 pixels each and change the color to black. Click OK.
canvassize6ww.jpg

Step 5: There is nothing more to do than to stop the recording. Click on the stop recording button (in the red circle shown at the bottom) and that’s it!
actionwithstop2oo.jpg

Your finished picture should look something like this:
catwithboarder7gm.jpg

Now, every time you want a border, click F3 or whatever button you designated.

NOTES:
1) If you have a bigger picture or you just want a bigger border, change the numbers in Step 4 A, B, and C.
2) If you are already using F3 for another action or just want to which button activates the action, in Step 3 B, change the "Function Key" to whatever you like.
3) When you resize the picture in Step 2, it will most likly be very small. To change this, just click on the Zoom Tool (Z) and then click "Actual Pixels" in the top right corner.
4) To delete an action, click on the action in your action bar, and click the delete button as shown in the red circle.
delete-action.jpg

If you would like to put this tutorial somewhere else like your website, please contact me first. I will provide you with the source pictures. Thanks!:thumbup:

I hope this tutorial helped someone out there. Tell me if you need any help!:hug::

It is indeed helpfull, i think the only reason you have not gotten any feedback is due to the fact that this technique has already been discussed and made into a tutorial a while back. I can't find the thread right now, but it is there some place.

That is not to say this is not very informative, it is indeed. It covers the texhnique wonderfully and is clear and easy to understand. Great job.

ceecookie said:
im using adobe photoshop 7..slightly diff..i cannot change the colour of the frame...

I use Photoshop 5.0 and have the same problem. It just shrinks the whole canvas down to a 5x5 pixel area. :confused:

Thanks for the comments guys!

yokahoma said:
I use Photoshop 5.0 and have the same problem. It just shrinks the whole canvas down to a 5x5 pixel area. :confused:

If I think what it is, this might be the solution:

3) When you resize the picture in Step 2, it will most likly be very small. To change this, just click on the Zoom Tool (Z) and then click "Actual Pixels" in the top right corner.

yokahoma said:

You'll need to switch the color of the background color before going into canvas size. It in on the left toward the bottom.

Most reactions

Back