Additional Lens(es) for Nikon D90

dvsktten

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone. I currently own a Nikon D90 which I love. I have a 16-85mm lens which is awesome, a 50mm prime, and a Nikon 70-300mm which my boyfriend dropped this past weekend (yes, I am still with him lol!) Since the debacle, he promised to buy me a new lens, but I now have the opportunity to either purchase the same lens (70-300) or purchase another one. I really have liked the results with my 70-300, but was also looking at purchasing the Tokina 11-16. Any other suggestions as far as best lenses to have with a Nikon D90? I do not take many indoor shots. I am mainly a landscape/nature/wildlife photographer. My budget is $1K (yes, I'd LOOOVE the N 14-24mm, but no can do!) :mrgreen:

not sure how the pros will feel..... but you could get the Tokina 11-16 new and a Nikon ED AF Nikkor 80-200mm 2.8 if you ebay'd them for under 1000 :D

You have the 16-85. I would use that for landscape and pick up a 80-400 or a sigma 150-500.

Last edited:
The 70-300 AF-S VR-G is a nice lens...the "new" VR version of the Nikkor 70-300 is the one I am speaking of here. There have been multiple "70-300 Nikkor" lenses...the newest model, the VR-equipped, AF-S G model, is a decent lens, and is imminently carryable. And pretty decent optically. it is not really super-large, and not super-noticeable in social photography scenarios, so you will not look like a paparazzi-type shooter! I have one, and shoot it for a lot of things. What I LIKE about the 70-300 is its SIZE, its VR, and its optics. I own bigger, better, "more-pro" lenses that span its focal length range, buuuuuut, those are all "serious lenses", for "serious photo outings", and are in general, kind of obnoxious for use in social photography situations.

I think USED lenses are the way to get more lens-for-dollar. Landscape/nature/scenic??? Yes, I suppose the 11-16 Tokina is a good choice for the ultra-wide angles. It's very wide, so you can get that faraway everything look, which is also known as the, "teensie-tiny-background-objects-that-add-nothing-at-all-to-the-photos" look that so many Flickr shooters embrace.

The D90's MP count is low enough that is does not stress any decent lens; the 80-400VR mentioned above, is for example, a VERY,very handy lens for all-in-one use in outdoor photography, especially on windy days, or when you want to shoot from ONE SPOT quite a bit, or from longer distances. I've had an 80-400VR for many years now, and it is a fine lens on the lower-MP count Nikons. It might not have the best "test scores" on the lens tests, but it shoots pretty good real-world pictures on lower MP count bodies. (12MP and under).

we have the nikkor 70-300 VRII lens and think its great. ours very very rarely gets used, as most of what my wife shoots is close. typically covered by our 17-50 f/2.8 or 28-75 f/2.8, or one of our primes. but if you want something with more reach, and dont have the budget for a 70-200 f/2.8 or the 80-200 f/2.8, the 70-300 VRII is a great lens for the money.

I think you are letting your BF off too easy! Were it my wife to whom I owed a lens she'd demand a Nikon 70-200 VR2, and she might settle for a VR1, else no hugs for a while.:confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back