Additional lighting (Speedlite?)

Mystwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I often see Speedlite associated with studio (portrait?) type photography - at least in reviews of the product I do.

I typically take pictures of my daughter running around, or pictures of family gatherings. Basically lots of indoor stuff where I'm at mercy of indoor lighting, or lack of ... Recently I started using 17-40 f/4L and am finding it a little more difficult (I often get pictures that are "dark) - this is compared to the 50mm f/1.8 which I think is one of the best lense for price.

Will Speedlite 580 EX II help? I'm not going to master/slave it so am not concerned that you can't turn off slave from "this master". Or is this going to be overkill?

Also, is there an EX III in the works? Am thinking Canon should have a new model out to correct that master/slave issue, then I can get the EX II for cheaper :)

I shoot very similar stuff to what you are describing, my son, family events, holidays...etc.

I have the 430EX and I use it in combination with a 17-50 F2.8 that is pretty fast. I have found that if in a house with low ceilings and the flash backed off to -1/3 and bounce it off of the ceiling it helps a lot. However I tried it with my 18-200 F3.5-6.3 yesterday which isnt nearly as fast and it didnt do all that great.

I am far from an expert but it seems like the flash along with a faster lens will do the trick. I guess I would have to say the flash will get you halfway there unless you go back to your 50mm which allows much more light in.

Freedbaby

yes the speedlite will help.

investing in a speedlite is good way to go. you can use it for fill flash during the day. add more to do a strobist type of lighting. not to mention use it in low light conditions.

as you know the L series is f4.0 where the 50mm is f1.8.

i might also recommend a lightsphere it really distributes the light more evenly I haven't taken it off my speed light since I bought it. It also has almost completely replaced the need for any other studio lighting when doing portrait work. and don't let anyone tell you a better bounce card is the same thing! Because it has absolutely no comparison in the results. You can go on Gary Fongs website and check out his videos to learn more about it.

Thanks much for quick answers.

While not "L", that 50 f/1.8 is amazing, and for less then $100. That was my first non-kit lense and was hoping lense were all that affordable - doh :lol:.

Thanks much for quick answers.

While not "L", that 50 f/1.8 is amazing, and for less then $100. That was my first non-kit lense and was hoping lense were all that affordable - doh :lol:.

i just recently graduated from the kit lens to the 50mm f1.8. it is amazing for the price.
now i'm heading for a 70-200mm f4.0L :) doh!!!! there goes this years budget

Was searching for Lightsphere II pricing. Found what I think is the right item.

On Adorama, I found a "Cloud" version, ~$40 ... did not find "frosted".

On B&H, I found a "Frosted" version, ~$40 ... did not find "cloud".

I am guessing they are same, but they have different manufacturer part numbers - C4CR and LS2-C4.

I like to shop B&H, but I like description of "Cloud" version better.

Are they the same?

Was searching for Lightsphere II pricing. Found what I think is the right item.

On Adorama, I found a "Cloud" version, ~$40 ... did not find "frosted".

On B&H, I found a "Frosted" version, ~$40 ... did not find "cloud".

I am guessing they are same, but they have different manufacturer part numbers - C4CR and LS2-C4.

I like to shop B&H, but I like description of "Cloud" version better.

Are they the same?
13.00 here it is the exact same version as Gray fongs I have both and cant tell them aparthttp://stores.ebay.com/jiakgong-DIGITAL

Yes, a speedlight will help a lot... but to take it one step further, get that flash off the camera. Here is another post suggesting that you look at the strobist site:

http://strobist.blogspot.com

Never again be at the mercy of indoor ambient light!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back