Adjusting a CP with lens hood on

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody have a neat trick for this problem? I have two lenses, one with a 1-1/2" deep lens shade and another with a 2-3/4". If you try to adjust a CP with the hood on, you can't see the effect because your fingers are in the way and you smear the filter, and if you adjust and then put on the hood it's easy to throw off your setting. The only thing I can think of is a 3" rubber sleeve (maybe a drain sleeve) a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the hood. If the light is coming in obliquely you need the hood to prevent flair. Any ideas?

Thanks, Tom Beard

You have successfully MacGyver'd the solution some people use, Tom!!

Tamron invented a cut-out system that allows adjusting of CP's on their fairly new 180mm macro lens a while back...it's got a filter adjustment cut-out in the lens hood.

There might be a good hacksaw and a half hour spent with it in your future, if you get my drift.

I have a rubber drain sleeve that was too big for the sink. It had a screw clamp on either end which I removed. It's 3-1/2" long with an outside diameter of 2-3/4" (70mm). The inside diameter of the hood is 3-3/16" (80mm). The filter is 67mm. It fits and works perfectly (even with tunnel vision, but who cares) and doesn't leave any marks on the filter, (available at any hardware store, 2" diameter rubber drain sleeve). Thanks for the support. Tom Beard P.S. Since it had been on the sink drain and was a little cruddy inside. I washed it REAL good!

This has always been an issue for me as well. I know that there are hoods made which screw into the filter, but I don't own anything like that.

I have a rubber drain sleeve that was too big for the sink. It had a screw clamp on either end which I removed. It's 3-1/2" long with an outside diameter of 2-3/4" (70mm). The inside diameter of the hood is 3-3/16" (80mm). The filter is 67mm. It fits and works perfectly (even with tunnel vision, but who cares) and doesn't leave any marks on the filter, (available at any hardware store, 2" diameter rubber drain sleeve). Thanks for the support. Tom Beard P.S. Since it had been on the sink drain and was a little cruddy inside. I washed it REAL good!

Did I mention that the MacGyver Award comes with a $5.00 certificate to Burger King??? Well, it does!

I am honored to receive the coveted Mac Gyver Prize! However, I live in a small mountain community that had a Burger King. It closed down last year after several reports of food poisoning. I would be delighted if the Prize be re-directed by the board to the next deserving person who posts a good idea or trick that will deprive any large camera manufacturer of producing over prided gadgets.

Humbly Grateful, Tom B

Last edited:
I use a CP most of the time, my lens/hood system may differ from your yours, but I screw the CP filter directly to the lens itself and then screw the lens hood to the CP, I can now adjust the CP by rotating the lens hood, one disadvantage is a bit more vignetting can be quite harsh on the wide end.

Initially it was lens hood then CP in the lens hood, but it was a pita to adjust as you say, and my finger would often miss and smudge the CP.

Most reactions

Back