Adobe are SCUM

kap55

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been using Lightroom via monthly subscription for a few years but have finally decided that it is time to move on. When I went to the Adobe site to cancel I was faced with a fairly significant cancellation fee. Turns out that the anniversary of my signing on with Adobe was Sep 31 and that they want 50% of the subscription fee until next Sep 31. The will automatically bill by credit card as soon as I cancel - I have no choice or say in the matter. The only time you can cancel penalty free is on the anniversary of your original signing.

I can understand being hit with a penalty if you cancel within the first year, but after that you should be able to quit any time without penalty. I know there must be fine print that makes what Adobe is doing legal - but they are still scum.

And they're not the only ones.

It's actually a yearly subscription, only paid monthly. I agree they should be MUCH more open about it.

Guess you could always call your credit card company tell them you think your card has been compromised and ask them to issue a new one. Then let Adobe bill a closed card. :allteeth:

Guess you could always call your credit card company tell them you think your card has been compromised and ask them to issue a new one. Then let Adobe bill a closed card. :allteeth:

I did not close the account just because I wanted to consider my options - one of which is doing exactly that.

Waiting for the "usual suspects" here to come to the defense of Adobe...seems like no matter what kind of sh** Adobe pulls, there's a small group here who defends even the most-despicable actions that Adobe does...

@Derrel not just Adobe, it's anyone that you give authority to debit your account,. I absolutely refuse to grant anyone the right to debit my checking account, and maintain a separate credit card for those that force automatic billing on me. It's easier to dispute a credit card charge that you haven't paid then try to get your money back that's been drawn out of you bank account.

It's actually a yearly subscription, only paid monthly. I agree they should be MUCH more open about it.

That’s good to know. Everyone always refers to it as the monthly plan... I’ve managed to avoid it so far.

But it is not a secret. I don't see why Adobe are at fault for people not reading before they buy.

If I was to rent anything, I would specifically ask what the exit terms are. It is not the rental company's responsibility to hammer the basics home when I am too lazy.

I didn't even know that I HAD an anniversary date with Adobe. I've never sent chocolates, flowers- even a card! No wonder they're a bit cool with me, I suppose. o_O

You'll get no defense of Adobe here- have never like the rental model.

how is this an "adobe" thing?
most cell phone plans do this, cable contracts, internet, satellite, gym memberships....
not a new concept by any means.

i mean, come on guys....you sign a contract, but have no idea of what it actually entails?
this is not an "adobe" issue, its a user error.
i dont care for contracts much either, but I make sure I know what im getting into beforehand, and the ramifications if i decide to leave.

would you hold a photography client liable to pay a bill they signed a contract for, or would you let them out of the remaining 50% because they decided they wanted to get pictures reshot somewhere else even after you shot and produced great pictures?

most cell phone plans do this, cable contracts, internet, satellite, gym memberships....

i mean, come on guys....you sign a contract, but have no idea of what it actually entails?
i dont care for contracts much either, but I make sure I know what im getting into beforehand, and the ramifications if i decide to leave.

would you hold a photography client liable to pay a bill they signed a contract for, or would you let them out of the remaining 50% because they decided they wanted to get pictures reshot somewhere else even after you shot and produced great pictures?
It’s software, not a gym membership. If I don’t want/need the latest and greatest version, no other company FORCES me to make that choice. Being forced to rent software is offensive to me (and others). I happily use a 10-year old word processor. Haven’t had to spend a penny on that software in that time. My needs are perfectly met. I would have spent $1,200 at 10/mo under a rental.

I do use and pay Adobe but I don’t have to like it!

It’s software, not a gym membership. If I don’t want/need the latest and greatest version, no other company FORCES me to make that choice. Being forced to rent software is offensive to me (and others). I happily use a 10-year old word processor. Haven’t had to spend a penny on that software in that time. My needs are perfectly met. I would have spent $1,200 at 10/mo under a rental.

Adobe do not "FORCE" you to pay for Photoshop. I do not pay for it and am unlikely to ever do so - partly because I do not want it and partly I do not like the idea of renting software. I have Lightroom which I paid a one-off fee for and I have Photoshop Elements which, again, I paid a one-off fee for. I know what I have paid for and would know the same if I was daft enough to rent software.

i hear ya man...like i said before, i dont like being contractually obligated either....but just like a gym membership, or cable, or cell phone, there are alternatives that dont require a contract. if you choose to use adobe CC, (which I do) then you are choosing to abide by the terms of their contract.
Im as bad as anyone for not reading the fine print on contracts. Comcast probably has the rights to my first born child and i dont even know it...yet...
but I cant blame comcast, or t-mobile, or adobe for practices that I signed up for but dont know about because I didnt bother actually reading the terms of service that i quickly scrolled through to get to the accept button.

For now I really don't mind the monthly "rental" for Bridge, LR and PS. Think about it, CS5 I think sold for around $700, and for LR add another $149. that's $849 total without Bridge. at roughly $120/yr, I'd have to be a subscriber for a minimum of just over 7 years to break even. And, "if" during that time I upgraded either, then much longer. I look at it as a pay me now, or pay me later approach.

What scares the hell out of me is their push to get me to basically put my images and editing on their server.

Most reactions

Back