Adobe CS

EleanorW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quick question.. I'm still using CS2. Has there been any/enough changes made in subsequent versions that I should even think about upgrading yet, or just wait until another version comes out?

Yes, the improvements to ACR alone are worth the upgrade. You can always download the CS4, 30-day free trial and make your own comparison.

I just looked and I think you'll be ok for 1 more version, CS will drop off the list come CS5. Adobe Photoshop CS4: Upgrade details

Its hard to say how much improvement is necessary before "it becomes worth it" for someone else.

You didn't say, but the following assumes you are refering to Adobe Photoshop and not to any of the other individual CSn applications or complete bundles.

Not too long ago, I upgraded my personal "antique" Photoshop CS to CS4. I not use PS/CS4 at home and still use PS/CS at work. There are some nice improvements in PS/CS4, but nothing that makes the pictures any better or significantly improves my workflow other than ACR. There are some nice UI improvements involving Adjustment Layers that are nice, given my work habits.

The big improvement centers on ACR. If you shoot RAW, the upgrade may well be worth it for that alone.

The biggest motivator for me was that CS4 is the last version that would allow an upgrade from CS. You CS2 will qualify for upgrade to the current CS4 and CS5, whenever that appears. Unless Adobe changes their upgrade policy, CS5 will be the last that allows upgrade from CS2.

Nonsense.

OP if you are coming from CS4, and are able to purchase it at a good price - then I would jump right on it. I have CS3 on my laptop (it runs better), and I hate having to use it. The workflow changes that have been made from CS3 to CS4 would prompt me to make the jump; that you are using CS2 is a no-brainer.

The both will still allow you to edit photos. CS4 simply does it MUCH better, and much cleaner. There are so many little changes that you could go on and on about - but just get it, and discover them for yourself.

The both will still allow you to edit photos. CS4 simply does it MUCH better, and much cleaner. There are so many little changes that you could go on and on about - but just get it, and discover them for yourself.

Please just explain some of these amazing changes that make it THAT MUCH better to edit photos.

This thread would probably been better served in the Graphics Programs forum. I don't see any relevance to the Beginners' Forum and Photo Gallery. Please review the structure of the forums.

Please just explain some of these amazing changes that make it THAT MUCH better to edit photos.

Workflow. If you don't use Photoshop (and be use I mean go beyond the channel mixer layer to create a B&W photograph), then no - you probably WONT get any benefit out of CS4.

For those however that really use Photoshop for image processing, it is a most definite improvement over the previous editions. The handling of layers (as a previous poster alluded to) is one thing that would make me trash any other copy of PS and upgrade. But again, if you don't use them (or simply don't know how), then nope. . .no benefit here for you.

Workflow. If you don't use Photoshop (and be use I mean go beyond the channel mixer layer to create a B&W photograph), then no - you probably WONT get any benefit out of CS4.

Looks like the upgrade is good for...Professionals? I could care less about work flow, as photography is not my business.

So basically it edits pictures more efficiently...but not necessarily BETTER. Great advice to go out and blow hundreds on an upgrade!

Looks like the upgrade is good for...Professionals? I could care less about work flow, as photography is not my business.

Well thats obvious. And no, the upgrade and CS4 is not simply a legitimate and worthwhile tool for pro's - it is legitimate and worthwhile for ANYONE who wants simplicity combined with an impressive revamp to the UI and process of retouching/editing ones photos. However I state again, if you have neither the skill set not the desire - then no, the improvements in CS4 are not for you (and I daresay anything beyond the channel mixer and default RGB-sharpening).

So basically it edits pictures more efficiently...but not necessarily BETTER. Great advice to go out and blow hundreds on an upgrade!

I don't know anyone who wouldn't qualify a more EFFICIENT process as being better. And yes, some of the level adjustments tools in CS4 are most definitely "better" in CS4 than CS2 if you want to use that as your measuring stick.

I will be upgrading to a new CS once I buy my flash - I can't use Adobe's Camera Raw with my Sony Camera.. I've been making do with the software that Sony has, but I think I'll be better off to get the newer Adobe anyways. Thanks for everyone's comments... I had done some research but it really helps to have people's input :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back