Adobe heard us - announces $10 per month PS/LR Photographer plan

Buckster

In memoriam
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I dont get it. Photographers, both amateur and professional, spend thousands on their camera, even more thousands on lenses, and yet they complain about 10 or 20 dollars a month (about what it costs to go to the movies once) to use the best photography program available. Don't take up golf, where it costs around 70 bucks every time you want to play.

I dont get it. Photographers, both amateur and professional, spend thousands on their camera, even more thousands on lenses, and yet they complain about 10 or 20 dollars a month (about what it costs to go to the movies once) to use the best photography program available. Don't take up golf, where it costs around 70 bucks every time you want to play.
Software is not golf. If it were the club manufacturers would be charging you each time you swung a club.

I'm willing to pay to play when it's a game, but I am not willing to "Rent" software. I don't care what it costs, $1 a month or $1 a year, I will not be leashed by a manufacturer who can pull the plug on my usage of their software whenever they decide to. Obviously Adobe didn't hear me since I told them EXACTLY what they could do with their cloud crap.

Finally, a "Creative Cloud" solution I can live with! $10 per month for Photoshop and Lightroom is a price that actually works better than the upgrade prices I was willing to pay over the years, so I'm happy with it.

Details at PetaPixel and links from there to Adobe:

Photographers Rejoice: Adobe Unveils a $10/Month Photoshop CC and LR Plan

However, this is a "limited time " only offer.
According to the links, it's limited to get in on it by a certain date. If I do that, I'm locked in at $10 per month from then on. That's the price point I'm willing to pay, in accordance with the normal price I paid for my regular updates every 18 months or so from Adobe in the past.

My problem with the original CC scheme was that the monthly price, when extrapolated to the normal 18-24 month timeline of PS updates, FAR exceeded the amount I paid for those regular PS updates. This brings that price back in line.

Imagine that every 2 years, the company that makes the operating system for your computer comes out with a new improved version. For many, many years, you have bought that new upgraded version every two years when they come out so that you can get the benefits of all the latest features, and it costs you $200 each time, and you're just fine with that.

Then, one fine day, they announce that, going forward, they'll no longer sell you that operating system. Instead, they'll rent it to you at $30 per month. You do a quick calculation and find that the $200 every 24 months you used to spend for the new OS comes to about $8.33 per month. You also calculate that at $30 per month under the new scheme, you'll now pay $720 every two years instead of $200. On top of that, if you stop paying every month, your OS now stops working entirely.

For some, that's a problem.

YMMV

Last edited:
The offer, which isn’t simply an “introductory offer,” will be available to anyone who currently owns Photoshop CS3 or higher. You’ll be able to sign up for it through December 31st, 2013 once Lightroom 5.2 is announced in “a couple weeks.”
If you’re already paying $20 a month to subscribe to Photoshop CC, you’ll be automatically switched to the new cheaper rate if your account shows that you own a qualifying previous version of the software.

Cliff Note version: We've fleeced you enough to make the boat payments, so we're going to give you a little break. As for those who haven't given us tons of money already, tough cookies.

I think someone predicted this when the 'cloud' versions first came out.

They said that Adobe would have the price that's too high, and then they would lower the price to make people think they're getting an amazing deal when it's actually just now at the price it should have been released at In the beginning.

It still isn't good enough for me, as a student. The student prices to buy are still better.

Finally, a "Creative Cloud" solution I can live with! $10 per month for Photoshop and Lightroom is a price that actually works better than the upgrade prices I was willing to pay over the years, so I'm happy with it.

Details at PetaPixel and links from there to Adobe:

Photographers Rejoice: Adobe Unveils a $10/Month Photoshop CC and LR Plan

However, this is a "limited time " only offer.
According to the links, it's limited to get in on it by a certain date. If I do that, I'm locked in at $10 per month from then on. That's the price point I'm willing to pay, in accordance with the normal price I paid for my regular updates every 18 months or so from Adobe in the past.

I'm confused, Adobe states this is not an Introduction price but imediadely afterwards states you have up to December 31, 2013 to sign up for it? If it's not an introduction price, than why the time restraint, and what happens January 1, 2013?

Adobe Creative Cloud - FAQ

Photoshop photography program offer
Will the cost of my Photoshop Photography Program membership increase?
Customers who sign up by December 31, 2013 will be able to continue their membership. This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price.

I own an earlier version of Lightroom but not Photoshop. Do I qualify for the Photoshop Photography Program offer?
No. Only customers who own a previous version of Photoshop CS3 or later qualify.

It sounds like Adobe has been getting far fewer single application signups for Photoshop CC than they expected.

Adobe thinks that it can get the "individual-users" pie. It's still can't. Adobe's bank is corporate clients who buy licenses in bulk every year because they have no choice. If I were Adobe I'd try to make more money from corporations instead. Squeezing individual users will only hurt their brand. Soon or later, Adobe will have real competitors. Think about it, if Apple goes head to head with Adobe with seamless integration with their products, I'm pretty sure the world will be turned up-side down... for Adobe. However being a PC user I'd hate that to happen because there's probably not going to be a PC version.

Most reactions

Back