Adobe Photoshop ??

Janet80

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My dad wanted to buy me this for my birthday but said the only kind he found was Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0. Is this the right thing, or is it something different? I haven't opened it yet in case its the wrong thing....

Elements is a version of photoshop that is aimed at the general populace, not for people involved in the industry. So it is missing some of the professional features that come with Photoshop CS.

Elements is absolutely fine for general editing of photos, corrections etc. The only thing you'd hope it have that it doesn't is curves. It's also about £400 cheaper than the full version.

It is a toned down version, but photoshop is so powerful in the first place that elements is still stonkingly good.

One option would be to keep an eye out for special upgrades. I got a free version of Elements with my Canon 10D. Adobe offered an upgrade to CS, which I waited on, but then later offered one for CS2, which I went for. You had to be upgrading from the version that came with the camera, though. I think I got a second free version of Elements that came with something else somewhere around here, but I have no idea where.
http://store.adobe.com/store/products/master.jhtml?id=catCanon
For me it was worth it, because I couldn't deal without having curves.

The GIMP is something else worth looking at, and it's free!

Yeah, the Gimp is very good, and very similar to Photoshop. Little bit more complex to use, in my opinion, and I have to say, I do prefer my Photoshop CS, but if you're on a budget, then GIMP is definately worth a look.

I've been using Adobe Photoshop to my work for over 4 years and I edit/manipulate images with Photoshop every day.
One day I downloaded the Photoshop Elements and it wasn't as much features in there, but I was still able to do my job.
It's all depend what you want to use it for?!
One of the guy in our studio uses the Elements and still get the job done so I don't think you need to spend extra money on something now unless you're a professional.
Wait a little bit more and then maybe upgrade then.
-A

I bought photoshop elements 4 about a month or so ago and it was fine for me until I started taking infrared pictures. I wanted to switch the color channels and wasn't able to with elements. I decided I was going to upgrade to photosho CS2. I may be crazy but I took my chances on buying it off of ebay. For CS2 the price tag is quite shocking, but I got mine off of ebay for $25;) I am completely aware that I may have gotten screwed but it looks good and if I did, I am only out $25. I simply searched on ebay for CS2 and there is someone by the name saint-frog, his ebay feedback was decent so I thought I would give it a go. Waiting to receive it, hopefully it will be here this week.

markc said:
I doubt you got a real CS2 for that cheap. It's probably a copy. With the new auth schemes they have, you may not even be able to get it to work. Have you tried it yet?

I haven't received it yet. I dunno what I will end up with but we shall see. Here is a link to a duplicate auction, same exact thing I got.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTOSHOP-CS2-V9-FULL-VERSION-NOT-A-TRIAL_W0QQitemZ160001807793QQcategoryZ51344QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I am not allowed to post a link like that will a mod please remove it? Thanks

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Aelfwyn said:
Looks OK to me. He has good feedback for similar items.

That is what I figured. I hope I get the real thing. I will be a little upset that I paid more for elements 4 and I bought elements b/c I 'thought' I couldn't afford CS2.

How could s/he be selling these for so cheap? Doesn't make sense to me, but I am willing to take my chances.

I suddenly remebered that I didn't check the mail today so I went and got it. My CS2 disk was in the mail but upon opening it, realized that I was suckered like I had a suspicion was going to happen. It is a cheesy looking disk that supposedly contains the full version of CS2 and it has a key generator on it. I emailed the seller and told him that I wanted my money back and explained my dissapointment to him. Waiting to see what the reply is.

I do not suggest buying from saint-frog, he is a fake. Just thought I would let you guys know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back