Adolf Spongebob and the End of Civilization

The parents of people who can't read and/or can't assemble a coherent thought and support it have to bear a lot of the blame. My parents, who had minimal formal education, never would have put up with my not being able to function. They would have harassed the schools and teachers to be sure, but they also would have made sure I had basic skills necessary to survive in the world.

Hard to believe but the US is becoming increasing illiterate.

I believe it. I've been attempting educational outreach for 20 years. Nobody wants to read. Fake books lend all the atmosphere most people will tolerate.

It's disturbing. I read this last year and it scared the p*ss out me: Amazon.com: The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30) (9781585426393): Mark Bauerlein: Books

Joe

Yet, there is hope. Despite the fact that it seems the younger generations have become entirely self-absorbed and illiterate--and indeed, many of them have--there IS hope. I know this because I know my children, and I know some of their friends.
My sons, 19 and 21 years of age, have been reading since they were four years old. They were being read to long before that. My eldest, in particular, was almost NEVER without a book in his hand, even before he could read it himself.
The eldest was reading adult-level books by third grade. He read, and mostly understood the adult version of "The Way Things Work" when he was eight years old--he probably understood it better THEN than I do now!
As a result, they are incredibly literate, learned individuals. They both read a myriad of different genres, and they have both read more of the classics than almost any adult I know (outside my own family). And some of their friends are also pretty voracious readers.

I believe that their reading habits have not just made them smarter, but less self-centered, more aware of the world around us, the needs of others, the HISTORY of how we came to BE in this mess. :D
One wants to be a rocket scientist, one wants to be an artist--both are highly intelligent, both are respected not just by their peers but by the adults who know them.

I don't say that to brag on MY kids (though I'm happy to do so!) but to say that there ARE younger people out there who are not falling into the "dumbing down" black hole that is the digital age. This "minority" among the younger generation still love their technology, but they also know how to survive in the wilderness, how to grow their own food, and how to put others ahead of themselves. It's encouraging to see, and it is what gives me hope.

The "Greatest Generation" had the same dismal, hopeless feelings about the future as they watched the "Baby Boomers" reach college age and then adulthood. There was little hope for a bright future when adults looked at the rebellious draft-dodging, flag-burning, free-loving, pot-smoking young boomers. And yet, looked how we turned out...okay, BAD example. :biglaugh:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I believe it. I've been attempting educational outreach for 20 years. Nobody wants to read. Fake books lend all the atmosphere most people will tolerate.

It's disturbing. I read this last year and it scared the p*ss out me: Amazon.com: The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30) (9781585426393): Mark Bauerlein: Books

Joe

Yet, there is hope. Despite the fact that it seems the younger generations have become entirely self-absorbed and illiterate--and indeed, many of them have--there IS hope. I know this because I know my children, and I know some of their friends.
My sons, 19 and 21 years of age, have been reading since they were four years old. They were being read to long before that. My eldest, in particular, was almost NEVER without a book in his hand, even before he could read it himself.
The eldest was reading adult-level books by third grade. He read, and mostly understood the adult version of "The Way Things Work" when he was eight years old--he probably understood it better THEN than I do now!
As a result, they are incredibly literate, learned individuals. They both read a myriad of different genres, and they have both read more of the classics than almost any adult I know (outside my own family). And some of their friends are also pretty voracious readers.

I believe that their reading habits have not just made them smarter, but less self-centered, more aware of the world around us, the needs of others, the HISTORY of how we came to BE in this mess. :D
One wants to be a rocket scientist, one wants to be an artist--both are highly intelligent, both are respected not just by their peers but by the adults who know them.

I don't say that to brag on MY kids (though I'm happy to do so!) but to say that there ARE younger people out there who are not falling into the "dumbing down" black hole that is the digital age. This "minority" among the younger generation still love their technology, but they also know how to survive in the wilderness, how to grow their own food, and how to put others ahead of themselves. It's encouraging to see, and it is what gives me hope.

The "Greatest Generation" had the same dismal, hopeless feelings about the future as they watched the "Baby Boomers" reach college age and then adulthood. There was little hope for a bright future when adults looked at the rebellious draft-dodging, flag-burning, free-loving, pot-smoking young boomers. And yet, looked how we turned out...okay, BAD example. :biglaugh:

We're DOOMED! :)

Hard to believe but the US is becoming increasing illiterate.

Joe

Every generation glorifies their generation and looks in disdain at the current generation.

Currently it's "Back in my day before the internet. Those were the days."

Before that it was "Back in my day we had to walk to school. Those were the days."

And before that it was "Back in my day we didn't let no negros subjugate our authority. Those were the days."

That's been the case since the beginning of forever. What's past is always "golden" because everybody only remembers the good stuff. I personally find it ridiculous to say that this current generation will destroy America. That's what they said about generation X and generation Free Love as well, and...well...we're still here.

I don't think very many people under the age of maybe 70 would say that they think a world without the internet would be better. All of this stupidity and "bad news" that's floating around on the internet has always been there. It's always been around. It's just never been this accessible. I do understand that the digital age is supposedly shortening attention spans, but saying that it's making people stupider is just stupid in itself. The hardest way isn't always the most effective way.

Last edited:
An old friend of mine used to always tell me this......

"Some people are born with a book in their hand, some are born with a hammer."

My old friend who would say this dropped out of school at 12 years old, has been homeless, has lived in a van in the woods and more recently started/owns a multi-million dollar tree removal business that started from a simple lawn care service company.

Never judge a book by it's cover....and books can't read either.

… P.S. Many of you know I'm a retired college professor. … Hard to believe but the US is becoming increasing illiterate.

Psst! The next time you tell people you were a college professor, remember to add the ly to the end of "increasing." (I'm sure you meant to say "increasingly illiterate.") Thanks!

But seriously, I agree that, at first glance, that display might be considered despicable. However, I wouldn't expect to pick up a book at McDonald's, but a display of fake books might remind the clever parent to say something like, "Say, kids, we haven't been to the library in a couple of weeks! Let's go as soon as we finish our lovely meal!"

Oh well, one can hope. … :lol:

Last edited:
One book I kept in the toilet, err, Mmmm, ooooh, I meant "library" as a kid was a dictionary.

I'd make a contribution to this conversation if I knew how to read those little squiggly things you guys keep posting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back