Adorama's $399 deal on a D40 kit: I would buy one!

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am posting this here because the question of what camera to get is asked in this particular forum about 3 times a day.

While I am not a big fan (to say the least) of the D40 as the perfect camera, these things are just so darned cheap that right now factory refurbed from Adorama that I would buy one as a way to get started in DSLR's realizing that I would end up keeping it as a second body down the road.

Factory refurbed Nikon D40 Kit $399

If you order this, please click on the Adorama link at the top of this page, and search for item: INKD40KR This link helps to pay for The Photo Forum, and doing that give some love to the forum that helps ya out for nuthing every day.

While my views of the D40's lens limitations are well known, when it drops under $400 for a complete kit, that completely changes my attitude about this camera from a "I don't recommend it" to a "screaming buy"... because it puts a camera with OUTSTANDING image quality, a fast flash sync, a great feel, excellent battery life and great metering system into your hands for the price of a modest point & shoot.

Price indeed eliminates my biggest complaint about the camera, because at that price you just don't have much of a financial investment in the camera, so if you need to "move up" you don't feel "stuffed" at having bought the D40... you can just keep it as your second body/vacation camera and move along down the DSLR road. The D40/Kit Lens weigh NOTHING and are a great little carry around snapshot camera on vacation... I left my D300 locked up in the hotel when I was in Hawaii last month and shot 90 percent of my pictures with the D40, the kit lens and the uber-cheap 55-200 VR... because they are small, light and unobtrusive.

No, D40's are not the "perfect" camera, but they ARE dirt cheap, and I would buy one of them right here, right now at that price and start shooting.

I know of a lot of people that have gotten various Nikon refurb kits and they're pretty safe. Best of all they come with a 90-day Nikon warranty, so even if you do find an issue you're covered. This is definitely a great deal. hardly any more than the higher end point & shoots out there, yet you get far more capability and flexibility. I saw this deal around Christmas time, but they all got gobbled up in a hurry. Looks like there's some more of them now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back