Advance film trigger not working?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought an old Canon AE-1 35mm SLR that is in excellent condition- not a ding or scratch on it. I used it for one roll of film (Have not developed it yet) and when I went to put in a new film- it would not let me use the advance film trigger. I read the manual over and over, and I do not remember it being this difficult to merely change the films when we put in our first- so I am guessing something is wrong with this camera. It simply will not advance the film- the trigger moves half way, but not far enough to advance the film the slightest bit at all. Therefore- I cannot load the film. It is time to call it quits with this old camera already?

Is the shutter cocked? Fire, the shutter and try to advance it. Maybe a dumb question but you never know.

Cant fire the shutter. Nothing happens. I have read reviews now for the last few hours on this camera, and it seems that this problem is not rare.. BUT it never says how to fix it. One thought was 'is the rewind button stuck in?" and nope, it isn't. The shutter isn't cocked either, and it wont let you take a blank picture (Wont make that click sound that it should) and just plain old wont work. Oh well- I guess I am getting a digital now! LOL

I am about to make another thread (Sorry I am so annoying, I promise to make up for it with a lot of pictures in the near future!!) about lenses.

Thank you very much Big Mike- if this forum had 'rep' points like other forums I am on, I would have given you so many by now.

Well, the next thing to do, would be to open the back and reset the film and make sure it's all OK. You will ruin the first few frames...but that's not a huge loss.

I guess it could be a common problem with these cameras...they haven't been manufactured in the last 20 years or so....so you can't expect them to be in perfect condition.

I'm happy to help :D

Most reactions

Back