Advanced Point and Shoot vs. DSLR

CMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think most will say (myself included) that DSLR's are always better; hey, if I didn't think so, I wouldn't have one. But, this morning I was looking online, and I found some specs on the Samsung Pro 815. Lets say I was pretty impressed. It's got 8 MP, a 3.5" LCD screen, it shoots raw, has a 28-420mm equivalent zoom, live preview screen, manual focus lens, and it takes video.

Start up time is within .2 seconds of the XTi, and shutter lag is 0.25 seconds, and the number of pictures you can take in a burst is "unlimited". Impressive specs for a point and shoot. So, discuss.

This one stat tells me everything I need to know...
Sensor size:
Rebel XTi - 22.2 x 14.8 mm
Samsung Pro 815 - 8.80 x 6.60 mm

Link

I believe that if you are going to own or want to buy a P&S, it should have mega features like what you described, however, the two types of cameras are still in very different leagues.

Big Mike said:
This one stat tells me everything I need to know...
Sensor size:
Rebel XTi - 22.2 x 14.8 mm
Samsung Pro 815 - 8.80 x 6.60 mm

Link

It is interesting that they were able to cram 8 mp into that size chip. That's impressive.

fmw said:
It is interesting that they were able to cram 8 mp into that size chip. That's impressive.

It would be impressive...IF they could do it without have very noisy images at ISO 400/800.

I truly do not know anything about the modern camera construction but whenever I have a question about a camera I go to stevesdigicams.com and look at the photo examples. The one I like best to judge a camera is a shot he does with ever camera. it is an old factory building. I open it one to one at full resolution then look at the chimney.

From doing that the nikon, canon and sigma were in a class by themselves. But amazingly enough a very close second was the panasonic advanced pNS. I think the color rendition made the most difference with just a slight difference in the presentation of the image itself.

If I were going to buy a digital camera and didnt want to go slr which I probably wouldn't I would look hard at the pansonics with the elmer lenses.

From the owners I have spoken with, and the reviews I have read they seem to be a good compromise. You dont get the whizbang effect with your clients so if were selling pics I wouldn't go that way. But it does have a lot of nice features.

Most reactions

Back