advertising effectiveness

Different types of photography businesses require different types of marketing and some of that includes advertising. I imagine if you do weddings and portrait photography the yellow pages, local area papers may be worth investing in.

From what I've been told, and this is coming from quite a few pros over at DWF, is that the yellow pages is NOT worth it. Top 2 reasons being: 1. It's damn expensive 2. The only ones who use the yellow pages are the "tire kickers". I guess if the expense pays off and nets you more clients, then more power to ya.

I went for the free listing in the Yellow Pages. I am going for the free stuff before I start spending money.

As you all know, I have business cards and word of mouth working for me rather than just internet advertising. IMHO my website is where people go, having seen my other advertising.

Just for the record, business cards shouldn't be considered advertising. They simply tell people how to contact you. That's their function.

As for internet advertising, I'm not sure I would consider my web page as advertising, but more of a web presence. It's like having a virtual storefront. This is where people can learn who you are and what you do, and like a business card, how to contact you.

In the strictest sense, any public announcement is advertising. But practically speaking, an effective ad will get people to purchase your product or service. It's not easy.

Think about ways to contact people who likely need what you have to offer in an effort to tell them how using you will benefit them. It may be your quality, value... maybe ease of doing business. Perhaps it's assurance of dealing with an established photographer who will be around for quite some time. Whatever it is that YOU do that benefits the client.

I hope this is helpful.

-Pete

Most reactions

Back