ADVICE: Best Lens for Wedding Ceremony/Reception EOS 70D

funphotog123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am shooting my FIRST wedding for a friend soon and want to be prepared. I have the 55-250mm lens and 18-55mm lens my camera package came with. These have treated me well throughout my portrait sessions and during a few events! I am by no means a professional photographer, and the client (a current portrait session client/friend) knows that this will be my first wedding. I have enough money, hopefully, to invest in one new lens. What lens do you recommend for my crop-censored camera? Not only am I looking for recommendations, but any helpful hints and words of encouragement would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance! ...we all start somewhere, right?! :)

Canon's EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens would be very, very nice! You could also get something similar from Sigma.

This lens works only on crop-sensor Canon bodies (hence the EF-S designation in its full name), and has Image Stabilizer technology, and ultrasonic motor focusing.

Here is a review of it from Ken Rockwell. Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS Review

I think this would be **the best** lens for a wedding ceremony and reception, for you and your camera.

Welcome to the forum.

First talk to the couple and see what they want / expect. Make a game plan from that, with notes for yourself. Shoot in RAW! You have more options with raw files to recover missed exposures. Obviously make sure the equipment is in working order. And make sure you don't have some odd or specific setting on the camera, that you forget you set. Be mindful of where your light is coming from. You may have to turn entire group for the best lighting. If you can scout the facilities. See what conditions for lighting you will be working in. Do you have a speedlight?

Canon's EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens would be very, very nice! You could also get something similar from Sigma.
That was exactly my thought, great minds thinks alike heeee heeee ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back