Advice: D90 w/ 50 1.8 for $550 good deal?

Montanamyst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my d3100. I found a local D90 with a 50 1.8 2 batteries and nikon battery grip with 5961 clicks for $550. Is this a good deal, or should I just wait around for a good d300? I'm hoping to sell my d3100 to make up the difference. I have a 35 af-s 1.8, so I would most likely sell one of the lenses to make up the difference. What would you all do?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would say that's a pretty descent price. The D90 body only is around $625 and the 50mm 1.8 is around $175 brand new.

Well see the camera's condition and find out how old and how many shutter clicks it has. There are two 50mm f1.8 the older D version runs $125 new and $90 used. The newer G AF-S version goes $220 new and $175 used. Great primo shape with box and all original accessories and under 25k clicks easily goes in the $500-$550 so the lens is extra frosting.

As to waiting for the D300 as long it isn't too long. That is up to your intended uses. Do you mind a heavier more robust beast? Do you need to meter with older Ai or Ais manual glass? Do you want fine tune ability for specific lenses tuning to body? Do you want a more weatherized take out in weather? Want faster & speedier AF lock? More dedicated controls for more direct control over settings.

If any of those are important to you? Then would wait if not too long for the D300. As seeing them coming down to the $700-$800 range on a regular basis and that's with the MB-10 grip many times.

I would trade my D90 for a D300 and a bit of cash in a heartbeat as those features mentioned are more important to me.

Not that my D90 is any kind of slouch. As "Wanda" has given many years of satisfaction and for the most part gets the job done.

I picked up a D90 (body only) a few months ago with 2500 clicks for $550 and thought it was a solid deal. If the camera is in good shape, you are basically getting a free lens.

At $550 for all of that, it is a good deal. The body is worth about $400-$450, the grip is worth about $75-$100, and the lens is worth about $60-$75 depending on condition. I would expect to pay anywhere from $525 to $675 used for the equipment you're listing, and at $550 you're on the low side of the scale.

And there really isn't much difference between the D90 and the D300. They have the exact same sensor. The only thing you'll be gaining by waiting on the D300 is a few extra focus points, a weather sealed alloy body, 1/8000th of a shutter speed, and a few extra bells and whistles that you probably wouldn't use anyway.

In addition, seeing as how they are both older model cameras nearing replacements I wouldn't spend the extra few hundred on the D300. I'd go with the D90 for now and continue to save for something like the D400 or the D7000.

Thanks! Would you keep the 35 AF-S or the 50? I really don't think I would need both, and I'm hoping to sell one to off-set the cost even more.

At $550 for all of that, it is a good deal. The body is worth about $400-$450, the grip is worth about $75-$100, and the lens is worth about $60-$75 depending on condition. I would expect to pay anywhere from $525 to $675 used for the equipment you're listing, and at $550 you're on the low side of the scale.

And there really isn't much difference between the D90 and the D300. They have the exact same sensor. The only thing you'll be gaining by waiting on the D300 is a few extra focus points, a weather sealed alloy body, 1/8000th of a shutter speed, and a few extra bells and whistles that you probably wouldn't use anyway.

In addition, seeing as how they are both older model cameras nearing replacements I wouldn't spend the extra few hundred on the D300. I'd go with the D90 for now and continue to save for something like the D400 or the D7000.

I was thinking the same, and I could get quite a bit more for that one. Who knows, I may make a profit by the time I sell my 3100!
I sold my 35mm af-s a long time ago, and kept my 50mm.

Wouldn't count on it. I doubt you'll be able to sell a d3100 for any amount nearing what you'll pay for the D90 setup.

The D3100 + 18-55 kit lens is selling for about $350. You might get $125-$150 for your 35mm, so at the highest I'd expect you'll make $550, at the lowest I'd expect you'll make $475. And that'f if you can find someone to buy it. It can be done, but it'll be a hard sale. If you don't have the 18-55 kit lens, you can subtract about $100 off those prices.

Montanamyst said:
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade from my d3100. I found a local D90 with a 50 1.8 2 batteries and nikon battery grip with 5961 clicks for $550. Is this a good deal, or should I just wait around for a good d300? I'm hoping to sell my d3100 to make up the difference. I have a 35 af-s 1.8, so I would most likely sell one of the lenses to make up the difference. What would you all do?

Thanks!

What's wrong with your d3100? What are you looking to accomplish?
Not trying to sound like a prick. I'm just wondering if it's worth it for you or should you just add some glass.

Mach0 said:
What's wrong with your d3100? What are you looking to accomplish?
Not trying to sound like a prick. I'm just wondering if it's worth it for you or should you just add some glass.

I really want the ability to use my camera as a commander. I also want more designated buttons rather than having to scroll.

She reduced the price to $500 says she needs money for rent.

As to the 35mm or 50mm had both sold the 50mm. Because I found it tighter and less useful indoor shooting. Also 35mm for me was more of a street & candid lens. The 50mm had me many times backing into walls or into street to compose.

For the upgrading from the D3100 or other entry cameras. Yep is an upgrade. As will give you in-body motor to drive those AF and AF-D lenses giving you more lens choices. Built-in Flash Commander to operate flash off shoe. Bigger Brighter viewfinder and dedicated controls to make changes on the fly without the need for eye to leave the viewfinder to go menu digging and missing the shot. Top settings LCD for Night & Tripod work.

Like many I became frustrated within 9 months for the lack of features & controls that I now use daily. Like dual command wheels is essential to me. It is not always just about sensor performance or megapickles. Sometimes it is just about a more capable body.

Jump On it! Montanamyst

That's a great deal! I sold my D90 body only for $550 last week. It had 7K clicks

"motivated seller"....

"help her out"...buy the danged thing!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back