advice for a beginner? anything is appreciated!

vyvy-jayde

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi i'm new to the forum so i hope this is in the right spot!
but like it says in the title im a beginner and i want any advice anyone can give!
a little bit more info; i have a canon t1i rebel with just the kit lens.
i'm pretty much lost so i'd greatly appreciate any advice at all, specifically;
how to get started?
the different types of modes and when should i use them?
how to shoot with a tripod? (when i use my tripod it comes out really blurry)
any motivational tips?
and like i said ANYTHING at all :)
thank you!

Motivation you'll have to work out yourself ;)

As for generalist tips the best I can give you is two bits of advice:

1) Practice - practice - practice. The more you shoot the better you'll become over time.

2) Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. This book will go a long way to teaching you about aperture, shutter speed and ISO. This understanding will go a long way to help you understand the camera and from there understand what the modes do and then which modes it is best for you to shoot in (in a given situation).

From there its best if you have photos for crits or ideas to work toward and need help with - otherwise the "general" advice is too broad to have any working meaning for you

"the different types of modes and when should i use them?"

Here is a general rule to live by:

Shoot in auto unless you are concerned

If you are concerned about depth of field or what is in focus then shoot in A or aperture priority mode

If you are concerned about blur then shoot in S or shutter priority mode.

If you are concerned that none of the above are going to work as you want then shoot in manual.

First and foremost, read your user manual.

Use the search function on the top bar for resource information. There is plenty.

'Understanding Exposure' is a good start.

I do not subscribe to sobolik's ideology, but that's me.

First: read the camera manual carefully. I won't say this is useful because most manuals suck these days, but at least you get to know the capabilities of the camera.

Understanding lighting and how it affects your final image.

Get to learn the basic camera terminology like shutter speed, aperture, focus, depth of field, focal length, ISO etc.

Then play around and practice with a variety of subjects. That's the only way to learn. You can read practical advice on the forum all day long, but advice is just advice. Learn by doing.

when i use my tripod it comes out really blurry

Yeah, this is a problem. Unless you are shaking the tripod by pressing the shutter very violently, there is likely a problem with focus or depth of field. Try recreating one of the shots that was blurry and use a small aperture (say f8, or if it's a close-up, f16). In fact, take a few shots a different apertures and compare. What you may be seeing if you shot at a much larger aperture (f3.5 or so) at the long end of the zoom is that most of your image is blurry and maybe you're not used to seeing that; point-and-shoot cameras have more depth of field on average. To check focus, press the shutter part-way down to activate autofocus and see which of the autofocus points light up-if the ones that do are not on what you'd like to be sharp, it probably won't turn out to be. You can also try manual focus, but that can be tricky on a Rebel because the screen is not that bright. As Overread says, practice, practice, practice.

Just to dovetail what KenC said, if you have a lens with VR, IS or USM (any kind of auto-stabilization), turn it off while on a tripod.

A GREAT photographer who has fantastic Dvds that I know have helped me out is Karl Taylor. Check his website out, he has many youtube videos that might help guide you .

But other than that, Like others said go out and shoot, read your manual , and keep messing around in MANUAL mode. Thats the best way to learn.

Photography Tips by Top Professionals. Quickly Learn Digital SLR Photo Tips with Karl Taylor.

EDIT: I would get rid of the 18-55mm lens as fast as you can, and buy a EF canon 50mm 1.8. This was one of the biggest steps i had when i first started with my T1i.

Good luck !

The more you shots you take, the more knowledgeable you become, and the more you try and apply that knowledge to your every day photography, the better photographer you will become.

Just to dovetail what KenC said, if you have a lens with VR, IS or USM (any kind of auto-stabilization), turn it off while on a tripod.

VR (Nikon version) - IS (canon version) and OS (Sigma version) are all similar stabalization devices and I second turning them off when mounted on a tripod.
USM however is a focusing motor setup and had no blurring effect when mounted on a tripod or off a tripod

Read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

It doesn't suck.

when i use my tripod it comes out really blurry

Yeah, this is a problem. Unless you are shaking the tripod by pressing the shutter very violently, there is likely a problem with focus or depth of field. Try recreating one of the shots that was blurry and use a small aperture (say f8, or if it's a close-up, f16). In fact, take a few shots a different apertures and compare. What you may be seeing if you shot at a much larger aperture (f3.5 or so) at the long end of the zoom is that most of your image is blurry and maybe you're not used to seeing that; point-and-shoot cameras have more depth of field on average. To check focus, press the shutter part-way down to activate autofocus and see which of the autofocus points light up-if the ones that do are not on what you'd like to be sharp, it probably won't turn out to be. You can also try manual focus, but that can be tricky on a Rebel because the screen is not that bright. As Overread says, practice, practice, practice.

ok what Ken said and also it could be that you have a long exposure and you are pressing the shutter a bit too hard put it on a self timer and then press it that way your pressing wont register a shake or you can get wireless trigger for the shutter which is a remote control hence no shake

What kind of tripod do you have? How are you using it? The above suggestions hold true about pressing the button for the shutter, but also.... if you are using a flimsy tripod, or its really windy, or a couple of other scenarios the picture could come out blurry too. With really flimsy tripods, the movement of the internal mirror is enough to shake the camera and cause blur. I noticed the quality of my pics improve drastically when I got a heavier sturdier tripod, and in the wind I make sure to tuck the strap away. If it hangs loose it acts like a sail and moves the camera around. Just a couple of suggestions I learned the hard way.

Why does the vr have to be turned off if on a tripod?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back