Advice for a beginner

R.D.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a long time, avid admirer of photography who has put off taking it up as a hobby as long as he could. I now am looking to pick it up after I have already had 3 deployments to Afghanistan, Iraq and Africa(great opportunities lost). Regardless I don't want to wait another year, I really enjoy shooting sports, my daughter, city scene and mother nature. Really just love a good shot.

So my birthday is in August and after getting my wife some Chanel sunglasses and a beautiful locket I have pushed my budget to 500-600$ and with a little pressure maybe a tad more. I know a little about the entry level camera's and thought I needed to push for the Canon Rebel T1i but it may be a bit too much.

With all those considerations maybe some of you have some advice that can help me, this weekend I am going to see which meet the comforts of my hands as well.. I believe the two most "affordable" entry level cams are Canon XS and Nikon D40

Thoughts? Thanks.

You might also consider refurbished and used gear as a way to stretch your purchasing dollars.

The quality of the lens has a lot to do with sharpness of focus and image quality.

Right, and while I understand the importance of the other equipment.. I first want to have good practice and technique before I dump more money into it(poor wording). So really I want to get started, refurbished is a good idea but my wife wouldn't purchase that for me.. Also, do lenses interchange with the same brand of camera and so forth?

Any Canon EF lens will work on any Canon body. EF-S lenses are made for crop bodies only (Rebel, xxD, 7D) When you move up to full frame, only EF lenses. Some Nikon entry level bodies don't have a built in AF motor, so some of their currently available older lens designs won't AF, and you have to MF them. These lenses are all primes, I believe. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
thanks subscuck, again. You've been grossly helpful.. any others please add your two cents even if they are just opinions.. I'm considering all things.

So after some more research today.. is the price difference in the EOS XS and EOS XSi worth it.. I like the specs and tech in XSi and am thinking of going in that direction..

Thoughts?

I see T1i with lens for $600 on Craigslist in my area.

So after some more research today.. is the price difference in the EOS XS and EOS XSi worth it.. I like the specs and tech in XSi and am thinking of going in that direction..

Thoughts?
Canon would be hard pressed to sell any of the XSi if the price difference wasn't worth it, compared to an XS.

It is better to direct any extra $$$'s, or consideration, to a better lens(s).

not really a fan of buying products from craigslist but its worth a look for lenses.. mind you my wife is getting me this for a gift.. I just need to say exactly what the product is.. :)

I want the T1i but its a bit pricey

thanks.

If you can afford it, go for it. The reason I didn't recommend it earlier was I didn't realize they were still available. They disappeared at B&H a while ago, after T2i was released. You'll get a bigger screen (3" vs. 2.5" on XS) and a fourth metering mode, spot metering. It's 12 MP vs. 10MP, which doesn't really affect IQ, just print size. IQ is nearly identical on these two. The bigger screen alone kind of makes it worthwhile. There are a few other minor differences, but those are the important ones. BTW, who has them in stock?

Have which one in stock? T1i I have seen at best buy and a few online places, XS and XSi should both be over at Creve Cour Camera's here in St. Louis..

I found the XSi in a couple stores here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back