Advice for D4 Owner?

JoeW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm about to acquire a used D4. I'm interested in any tips and advice (especially in terms of settings or quirks) that anyone has to offer.

I'm about to acquire a used D4. I'm interested in any tips and advice (especially in terms of settings or quirks) that anyone has to offer.
Well it really depends on what you are planning on shooting, what lenses you are using and what body you are coming from. I had a D4 for 4 more than or so in the beginning of 2017...

My primary camera right now is a D600. I've got a range of full-frame lens, some prime (50m f1.4 and 85mm f1.8), and a mix of zooms (including the 24-85 f2.8, 75-200 f2.8 and 600mm f5). I'm particularly interested in shooting sports and wildlife with it for certain but also a range of other subjects.

Yes, the voice memo feature is really nice. Be prepared for a beautiful viewfinder image!

Don't get it, and get a 850 instead.

Unless you need the speed.

I actually could have gotten +a D800 for a very good price with low shutter count and I thought long and hard about that. What what eventually decided against the bodies with 30+ megapixels is that I don't really have the computer power and memory to handle files that size without it going to a drag and then the resulting storage issues. To put it another way, I could either buy a used camera this year and wait a couple of years to upgrade my aging MacAir. Or I could upgrade my MacAir to a MacPro and then wait a couple of years to upgrade my camera.

And I really do want to shoot more sports and wildlife. But yeah, heard great things about both the D800 and D850 and was tempted.

I actually could have gotten +a D800 for a very good price with low shutter count and I thought long and hard about that. What what eventually decided against the bodies with 30+ megapixels is that I don't really have the computer power and memory to handle files that size without it going to a drag and then the resulting storage issues. To put it another way, I could either buy a used camera this year and wait a couple of years to upgrade my aging MacAir. Or I could upgrade my MacAir to a MacPro and then wait a couple of years to upgrade my camera.

And I really do want to shoot more sports and wildlife. But yeah, heard great things about both the D800 and D850 and was tempted.
From what I've read, the D4 would be my choice over either the D800 or D810, but the D850 would be a good choice over the D4.

As for the file size, you could probably capture smaller file sizes than the huge-a__ large files in the D850. Shooting fast action from the sideline you could save small files, and if shooting wildlife at 1 click, you could save the larger files.

Anyway, for sports and wildlife, why not consider the D500? The D4 is very good in low-light conditions, but then so is the D500. If you don't need an FX sensor, go for the D500.

I agree with Designer. If you are keeping the D600 you already have a perfectly fine camera for normal shooting. The D500 could be a very good choice for Sports/Wildlife. It depends on what price point you are looking at for the D4. If it's in the $1800 USD range where I have seen some, it will be a pretty good buy. But I have also seen D500 go in the $1200 range. I might get a D850 at some point but it is a bunch of money to shell out.

For wildlife the D500 is pretty hard to beat for the price. The D4 will have better IQ if, and a big if, you can fill the frame. I find the D500 AF to be more responsive than the D4 also. If you are shooting a lot of sports where you are not focal length challenged and in poor light then the D4 will win. Unfortunately everything is a compromise in camera land...

Most reactions

Back