Advice for my first dslr

Pustahija

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it better to buy nikon d5300 with default kit lense(18-55 af-s dx vr II), or d3300 with default kit lense(18-55 af-s dx vr II) + 35 mm lense, i got it for same price. Or to try some other combo? It would be a lot of indoor shooting because of that i think 35 mm lens would be good.

Personally, I would take the D5300 over the D3300 because of the improved auto-focus and the exposure bracketing. You can decide on a faster prime lens afte you've shot a while with the zoom and can see what focal lengths you use a lot.

For the record, when I was using my D5100, I quickly abandoned the 18-55mm completely in favor of the 35mm. Its just much higher image quality and you get just SO much more light, f1.8 was no trouble while with the 18-55mm I felt the need to stop down to f/8, so thats a friggin more than 16 times more light with the prime lens !

But a bright prime lens can only help you so far. Thus you will want an external flash ASAP, one that can be operated separately from the camera, in order to be free how to light your shots.

The D3x00 line is the most cheapest line with the cheapest components possible; the D5x00 line is much better, including better autofocus and a nice flipscreen, but in principle nothing really has changed - these are entry level cameras with limited controls, they lack more advanced features and will require frequent menu surfing to operate the camera.

And for entry level DSLRs there really is no choice in respect to prime lenses, its the AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX or nothing. Otherwise there are only 2 macro lenses and a fisheye. Even third party doesnt offer much more, theres a Sigma 30mm f1.4 and thats it.

Otherwise theres only FX lenses. The 50mm f1.8 is very affordable and thus popular. Using any other FX is of course perfectly possible, but will result in a huge lens sitting on a surprisingly small body, and the same goes for the pricing. And be aware you will need the more expensive AF-S lenses for any D3x00 or D5x00 Nikon camera, because those lenses only marked "AF" will require an autofocus motor in the camera itself and those arent present in entry level DSLRs.

So i think i misse your point, what is better for me to buy. I probably will never be a proffesional photographer. I need good camera for family photo, trips and photos for websites im making. So this is some budget i want to spend. And for you is there some beter solutions befor this two i suggested, Mb some used.

The 3300 with 2 lenses is more flexible, a zoom and a good low light lens. Enjoy

If it is your only chance for the extra lens then would suggest the D3300. If you like a flip-out screen then the D5300. Both will work for what you want them for.

My brother has used his D5100 for years now and still finds it meets his needs (he had also bought the 35mm lens along with the kit).

So is mb better for me to take some mirrorless camera like Olympus e pl5 or somth. And how much really decrase is in picture quality.

I"m a big fan of the 35mm f1.8DX. Good wide-angle (for groups or architecture or landscapes). Excellent low-light/ambient light lens. Sharp. Very light and small and pretty indestructible. I highly recommend it.

In fact, I'd actually recommend (if you can) that you just get the D3300 body with the 35mm lens. The zoom isn't going to be that useful indoors without a tripod and/or speed light. Outdoors, it only gives you a little bit longer focal length. If it saves you money, skip the zoom and save those bucks for a better zoom (say...the 18-105mm...which is a good walking around all-purpose lens for an amateur). The 18-55mm zoom isn't going to be that useful for you indoors and just isn't that much of an advantage over the 35mm (which will be significantly sharper as both a prime lens and your ability to shoot at a faster shutter speed b/c it's letting in more light with it's bigger aperture).

In theory the D5300 is a better camera. For your purposes, it really only has one significant advantage--the screen allows you to pull it out and look at it from an angle. This is a big edge for some types of macro photography where you have to position the camera where you can't see through the view finder.

The AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX is a full frame focal length equivalent of 53mm and thus a normal lens, not a wide angle.

Starting with the D5200, the D5x00 line got the superior autofocus system over the D3x00 line. The D5300 and successor also offer WiFi, though how much that is an actual advantage in its current state of implementation is left open to debate.

So no one think is good to go for some mirrorlesss 4/3 camera? And i tried to shoot today on d3300, id didnt like those little af system dots, i barrely see it ;) as i see in some video its different in 5300 af system

Really struggle to answer this.

I wont recomment MFT simply because thats not something I think should be recommented, unless you are OK to pay extra in image quality and some other restrictions for smaller lens sizes. I am not following MFT models and lenses and cannot give any recommendation about chosing a good system.

The sensor size(*) of the MFT system is this way mostly because of historical reasons; today an APS-C sensor costs basically nothing and thus cameras based on APS-C sensors arent more expensive than cameras based on the smaller MFT sensors. The bang of the buck ratio of MFT stuff is thus while not abhorrent, still clearly inferior to APS-C.

If you are willing to pay extra for small size MFT is probably a possibility, just be warned that while more expensive mirrorless cameras have reached the autofocus performance of entry level DSLRs, cheap mirrorless cameras still wont be exactly autofocus monsters just yet.

And yes, the D3x00 line of cameras, as I said before, is the cheapest of the cheap in all parts. I cant really tell you at what point a camera wont have anything for you to complain about, my best tip there is that you should try them out yourself. You might maybe also look into older, used cameras. The newest features like video and lifeview might be impaired, but the ergonomics, including the viewfinder quality, will be better than with entry level cameras.

(*) FYI, the sensor sizes discussed here are: MFT 17.3x13mm, APS-C 24x16mm, Full Frame 36x24mm.

I would go with the D5300 + 35mm lens.

I have both the D5300 and she Olympus micro. My advice is get the D5300 with the 35mm. The kit 18-55 can be had for about $100 used on fredmiranda.
In regards to micro 4/3 I personally love the EM1. The extra controls are nice and it makes a nice hiking kit. The image quality isn't as nice, but I only print in 4x6 with the pixima 100. At that size prints, I am happy as a hobbyist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Um ... 4x6 means probably 4 inch by 6 inch, which is approx 10x15cm ?

Mind you get 6000x4000 pixel images from the D5300. Printed at 300dpi (dots per inch), thats 20x13.3 inch ~ 50x33.3cm.

So yeah of course you wont have trouble with 10x15cm images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back