Advice for shooting in woodland

adrianthegasman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Every year at Easter we photograph our children in the bluebells. [For those outside Europe, bluebells are small flowers that grow in their thousands on the woodland floor]. This year for the first time I have a digital SLR and a bit more equipment.

Often the pictures come out a little dull, the woodland is obviously shady or with streaks of bright light through the trees. Correct exposure is a challenge.

Any tips on the best way to do this? Metering mode, reflector, off-camera flash? All comments welcome.

After reading your post i thought i would go and shoot some with 1 580EX flash on a stand shot into a silver umbrella, if your going to use off camera flash you want to be shooting in manual try exposing for the brightest part of you child and use your flash to fill the shadows, when mixing ambient and flash your shutter speed controls your ambient exposure and aperture controls your flash exposure also raising your ISO will introduce more ambient into your shot. If you live anywhere near Derbyshire i could give you a few pointers.
Here's one of my little lad in the woods with bluebells but they are not fully out yet probably another week
ISO400, 1/125, F10 and flash on half power
1261263336_4kfxNpF-L.jpg

Great, thanks for that, I will give that a try (although lugging a stand, brolly and two children into the woods might be a challenge!). We usually try the bluebells at Renishaw Hall (probably not a millions miles from you actually). I will post some results (if they are worthy!).

Cheers,

Adrian.

Great, thanks for that, I will give that a try (although lugging a stand, brolly and two children into the woods might be a challenge!). We usually try the bluebells at Renishaw Hall (probably not a millions miles from you actually). I will post some results (if they are worthy!).

Cheers,

Adrian.

Renishaw Hall is about 10 minutes drive if that, The shot of Archie was taken at a small woods near Barlow

Cheers,

Adrian.
Dont forget, children are great mules!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back