Advice for Tough Mudder Assignment

Never shot this kind of event before but I have shot some sports and wildlife.

My go to settings for this kind of sports/action is manual mode shutter speed 250/sec (possibly more), wide open apeture, auto ISO and partial metering mode with a single af point, AI servo and high speed continuous mode, shooting Jpegs and all in camera processing off.

If it were me I'd just take a telephoto.

I shoot manual for landscape shots, but not sure if I'm confident for anything other than Aperture priority for an event. Thanks for sharing the settings you'd use; I will play with those for sure.

Be prepared for you and your gear to get muddy!! The people running the race don't care about your equipment...Hehe They'll be splashing around and having a good old time. You might even have a crazy, muddy person come up and hug you!! :) Good luck!! Post pictures!!

Dear god I hope no muddy people try to hug me while I'm lugging this rental around. Maybe the zoom will allow me to keep some distance from some of these folks, most of whom I'm sure are crazy. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up.

What a total blast this was! I haven't shot many events in the past and I learned a few things today; namely that I carried too much stuff and could've traveled lighter, and that my battery grip can last a whole day. I took about 600 pics and am very pleased with the results...(they don't always turn out this way for me). I even shot manual all day long with variants of weepete's advice (thanks Pete).

The 70-200mm F/2.8 rental lens did most of the work. This is the nicest lens I've ever used and frankly I was blown away. I now understand the difference good glass makes, and, I thought I had the photography bug before, but it's much worse now (thanks to the lens) and I want nice stuff.

Appreciate all the replies I had here, and I'll post some pics later for critique.

Awesome!! I'm glad to hear you had fun. I can't wait to see what you got!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back