Advice for Vintage show

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There are some vintage shows coming up soon in my area, cars, tractors and such, there will also be live demonstrations. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on some techniques for photographing vintage auto and agri machines or indeed some inspiring photos.

The one piece of advice that I would give you is to take photos from angles and perspectives that show interesting views of the cars, etc. that can't be seen just by walking around the car. Too many people take "snapshots" of cars. Check out you typical car sales pictures for what I'm talking about.

At a show the challenge is getting a subject isolated. so the demos will likely offer the best shooting opportunities.

Thanks, there is a show tomorrow Sunday so I'll see what I get

At a show the challenge is getting a subject isolated. so the demos will likely offer the best shooting opportunities.

To increase the ability to isolate a subject, try and use the longer focal lengths on a zoom. When you use a really wiiiiiiiide-angle lens, the view BEHIND the subject is also very wide!!! Stepping back 4 or 5 steps and using a bit longer lens narrows the angle of view that is shown BEHIND the subject!!! That helps to isolate the subject, and keep other exhibits and gawkers/attendees from being in the backgrounds.

I use short telephotos quite a bit too, depends on the size of the place and the displays, sometimes I use a shorter lens or have one on the camera and bring along the other.

I find it involves timing too, being aware of people getting ready to move in and out of the scene to get photos either with people out of the photo or in the photo in an interesting way -maybe looking at the displays, not cutting thru the edge of the frame of your viewfinder.

Hope you enjoy the event.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back