Advice/help needed...

Crimsonandwhite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I went to the boxing event tonight. First I must say, that I had a blast, but my enthuiasm quickly died when I got home. Every one of my pictures have a 2 sided border that is cropped off when I convert the images from Raw to anything else. What the heck is that all about? This is the first time I have used the a700, is there something I missed? When I was shooting with the a200 this was not an issue...

Also i learned on a side note that shooting indoors, with crappy lighting and needing to freeze action is probably the toughest thing I have ever tried to do, oh by the way flash photography is not allowed during a boxing match.....I was in the 1000 ISO range just to get to 1/125....

If it's just in the Windows viewer that you see the black border, ignore it; if it's somewhere else, might need a Sony expert to weigh in on that. With respect to your comment about lighting; yep! Very difficult. That's why sports photographers are invariably packing big, expensive, FAST glass.

Just a quick question, What lens were you using? If you could get close to the ring, that 50mm of yours would be perfect in low light conditions.

Ok after playing around it only puts this border on when I am shooting in Raw.....

Seriously if I can't get this corrected I will be selling this camera, this is the most frustrating thing I have ever seen. I just don't get it....

could you post an example? I'm a little confused what you mean by the border.

oh, and the 16-80 zeiss lens is probably great (I don't know much about sony/minolta stuff etc. but I'm just guessing) the problem is that if you were zoomed in towards the end of the range even though you were it's a great lens you're still sitting at 4.5 for your fastest most wide open shot.

Now, I will say ISO of 1000 shouldn't be too bad on that sony, and it does have stabilization which is great, but I might recommend using the 50mm if you were to go again and be able to get close (especially because the 80 you have doesn't zoom much farther).

using the 50mm would probably let you get down to say 200-400 to get the same shutter speed, or it would let you keep the 1000 ISO and get closer to 1/300 to 1/400 shots. With the lenses you have it's definitely the one I would recommend you use for those kind of shots down the road.

Last edited:
Ok here is the problem, and once again it only happens with RAW format. That border you see at the top and bottom crops off no matter what I convert it the image too. Furthermore, I don't want it there to start with, any ideas?

Borderproblem.jpg

could you post an example? I'm a little confused what you mean by the border.

oh, and the 16-80 zeiss lens is probably great (I don't know much about sony/minolta stuff etc. but I'm just guessing) the problem is that if you were zoomed in towards the end of the range even though you were it's a great lens you're still sitting at 4.5 for your fastest most wide open shot.

Now, I will say ISO of 1000 shouldn't be too bad on that sony, and it does have stabilization which is great, but I might recommend using the 50mm if you were to go again and be able to get close (especially because the 80 you have doesn't zoom much farther).

using the 50mm would probably let you get down to say 200-400 to get the same shutter speed, or it would let you keep the 1000 ISO and get closer to 1/300 to 1/400 shots. With the lenses you have it's definitely the one I would recommend you use for those kind of shots down the road.

Thanks Nate, this is most def one of the best learning experiences I have had so far. I love the advice, I can't wait to go back and get some more stuff!

Now any ideas with the border problem :)

Wow, I have no idea on that one. Do you have any other software that will open the RAW images? If so, does the problem display there too? I'd suggest getting on the 'phone to the Sony and talking to them (I'm assuming that's Sony's RAW sofware I'm seeing?)

Sorry I can't help you with that one, but I'd love to know the answer when you get it.

Wow, I have no idea on that one. Do you have any other software that will open the RAW images? If so, does the problem display there too? I'd suggest getting on the 'phone to the Sony and talking to them (I'm assuming that's Sony's RAW sofware I'm seeing?)

Sorry I can't help you with that one, but I'd love to know the answer when you get it.

Yea that is the Sony software you are seeing.....

OMG Iron you are a genius! I never thought of opening it with anything else! Its the Sony software!!!!! Son of a B! Now the question is what is a better program for opening and working on my RAW images, any suggestions? I have always used the Sony software

Yea that is the Sony software you are seeing.....

OMG Iron you are a genius! I never thought of opening it with anything else! Its the Sony software!!!!! Son of a B! Now the question is what is a better program for opening and working on my RAW images, any suggestions? I have always used the Sony software

Adobe Lightroom is now pretty much the industry standard download the trial of Ver 2 and give it a whirl - worth every penny. I'd get on the 'phone to Sony and figure that out though; there's an issue somewhere that needs resolving.

Adobe Lightroom is now pretty much the industry standard download the trial of Ver 2 and give it a whirl - worth every penny. I'd get on the 'phone to Sony and figure that out though; there's an issue somewhere that needs resolving.

See my other thread Iron.....Sony is on the way out for me. I love the camera but my new partner shoots Canon and it makes sense for us to shoot the same brand so we can make the most of lenses.

Thanks for the recommendation, lightroom it is...

Most reactions

Back