Advice - Model Photographing...

Let us know how it works out.

I'll have to invest in some of those. Found some good ones on Amazon for a decent price. I also want a tripod that shoots both landscape and portrait.

Many responses...

1. Actually, you can do some good work with nude models in public space. But you need to scout, schedule appropriately and work efficiently. That's just for possible future reference.

2. Derrel's point about raccoon eyes is a great one. So that implies some good and bad shooting times. Try to avoid shooting from about 11am-2pm (that's when you'll get major raccoon eyes). If you must shoot then, expect to use a fill flash (so if you're not comfortable with speed lights, start practicing). The "Golden Hour" (just after sunrise and especially the hour before sunset) produces a warm glowing light that makes everything beautiful, especially skin.

3. I'm going to assume you won't be using any speed lights. My advice for portraits outdoors in that setting (if it won't be overcast or cloudy) is: get the model backlight (so you get a lovely halo around her hair) and then use a reflector to fill in her face (so she's not just a silhouette). So a reflector is critical here. That means you'll need an assistant or a stand. A poor guy's reflector (but it only really works for head shots)...wear a white T-shirt or white top. Within 3 feet of the model, it will have an impact.

4. If your model is inexperienced, than bring props. Basically, new models don't know what to do with their hands. So stuff like....a champagne flute, a favorite toy or stuffed animal, a single rose (in a color that compliments the outfit), a tool (like a crescent wrench or pair of binoculars) or work-related prop (stethoscope, headphones, work gloves) are all good examples. A pair of sunglasses can make a nice head band (especially if it's a breezy day). Also, print out some sample poses to help guide you and your amateur model..not to copy exactly but to use as a starting point (and then you play with them....b/c all bodies aren't the same...someone has shorter biceps or thinner calves so the pose has to be modified so it doesn't look clunky).

5. Since you're new to shooting portraits outdoors, here are a couple of setting things to watch for:
--mottled light (especially with leaves coming down, so you end up with uneven shadows on the model--very distracting).
--telephone wires.
--trash on the ground (like coke cans and wrappers)...our eyes tune them out but the color and form will jump right out at the viewer in a photo.

6. Find a good place for your model to change. I've had an assistant hold up two beach towels on a busy public beach (with the model in between the two towels) for bikini changes. Or if there is no-one around and your model isn't fussy about privacy, than you just focus on camera adjustments and reviewing shots to see what you need to do-over.

7. Bring a small emergency kit. A band-aid (nails and splinters happen and then you get some blood on clothing). A clamp or two (works to cinch clothing, hold up a scrim to a wall). A safety pin (when the strap on the dress breaks). Gaffer tape or duct tape. Bottles of water for you both. And probably a snack (b/c a lot of inexperienced models will starve themselves the day before a shoot worried about looking fat and then they run out of energy or get a headache).

I suggest you go to the site the day before you plan to shoot at the EXACT time of day you plan to shoot. Check out the shadows...how buggy it is at that time of day...if there's a school bus or fisherman who usually shows up at that time.

dont be scared to shoot in the middle of the day. You said you would be shooting at an old barn? find the side with the shade (most likely the north wall) and have your model pose in the shade and expose for her face. If you can, use a reflector to bounce some light. If not, no worries. Do what you can. if there is any angle from the sun so like say 2pm, you can shoot out side just have the subjects back towards the sun and expose for their face. Blowing out the back ground isnt always a bad thing. If there are doors to the barn, have her stand just inside the door way, right past the light thats falling in or right where its starting to fade. Its called barn door lighting. Your subject will be in the shade but just in it which will give some nice light. Again expose for the face. Have your model stand in the door way looking out and you be in the barn and get some cool silhouette shots. Maybe find another section of the barn where the light is falling in from a window and do some shooting there as well. Just inside the light or just outside of the light and of course expose accordingly. Theres a lot you can do with a barn, even mid day.

Thank you both for the very detailed advice! I appreciate it.

I don't have a reflector, but if its a must I think best buy may sell them.

We will be shooting around 5 pm so I think that will be perfect. I went out today (noon) to the location to just check it out and shot this. It was totally unplanned just happened to look up, there aren't any "raccoon" eyes, so that is good. A lot of shade trees and reflection from the water. I think it'll go well :)

Most reactions

Back