Advice needed about big event

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
Hello all,

I am a final year degree student studying in the UK and a freelance photographer. Most of my photography these days is events and nightclub based. Though young (22) I have a lot of experience taking some 25-30,000 photos for one venue alone in the past 4 years.

A graduate friend of mine elected recently as events officer for a large annual awards ceremony asked me to photograph it for her/the company a few months ago with a verbal agreement I could sell prints. The set up involves a backdrop with the awards logo and possible sponsors with my own 2 light head set up as I will have to photograph groups of around 20-30 people which is difficult with just a flash head.

My problem is that my friend has turned around to say I am not allowed to sell photos as they are paying my expenses (accomodation and food) and the event is "not for my personal gain". I had every intention of giving non watermarked full res images on a disc as well as selling photos on the night with a compact printer.

I have asked her to reconsider but if she doesn't then I don't think I will bother. She may be a good friend but at the end of the day this is business...

What's your take on this?

Thanks,
Drew

So you're just supposed to print the photos and give them away? Or just take the photos and provide the full-res files?

I think she'd be hard pressed to find another photog that can be paid in meals and a place to sleep.

That being said, don't stress the friendship over it, but don't bend over backwards, either...

For a job like that you should get compensated. Unless its a noble cause or you have no experience here is no reason to do a shoot for a company for free. What ever the comapny does you should ask her to provide there serrvice to you for free,see what she says to that.

It's a voluntary organisation (non charity) who organise awards ceremonys every year for a particular group of people (I don't wish to list details in case it gets back to me!) and I'm guessing through lack of sponsorship they have a very limited budget.

I had every intention of giving original high res images to the company at no extra cost as I originally thought I could sell prints on the night. I am not required to give away prints but they "don't feel comfortable with idea" of me selling prints. They had issues with a photographer last year who didn't supply hi res photos and there were lots of complaints.

The event itself is a great opportunity, however, I wouldn't say it was something I "needed". If it was 2-3 years ago I would've jumped at the occasssion but now I feel I've got to a certain point in my photographic life I don't need to jump at those things. It maybe ignorance, it maybe good business sense...

If they're uncomfortable with the idea of you selling your prints, let your reputation speak for itself in that regard. It's unfair for them to limit what you can do based on their experiences with another photog.

And I still wouldn't give away the hi-res files without being compensated in some way more than food & accommodations.

If it's more trouble than it's worth and you don't 'need' it, I'd say pass it up - unless it's just that you'd want to help out a friend. You said it wasn't a charity, so there are no moral issues in the mix..you're not required to work for free..so why can't it be 'for your personal gain'?

At some point we have to have fun as opposed to making money. Also no one at a charity event wants to be hit up for even more money. If you are stupid busy and it just is not feasible, then don't do it. Seems to me that the event could be positive for everyone involved. If it was me I would only charge cost.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back