Advice needed on camera to purchase

GordRocks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am currently using a Sony DSC-HX100V to shoot video. I make videos for YouTube to teach people woodturning and general woodworking. The camera takes decent video but I have 2 things that I need to overcome.

1. There is no way to lock in a Manual Focus when shooting video. Every time something moves within view of the camera the focus changes.
2. I use a large monitor to get the focus set but as soon as the camera starts to record video the monitor goes black. I would like to refer to the monitor as the recording progresses.

Do I need to go with a camera specifically made for video? Someone recommended a Blackmagic Cinema Pocket camera but it's a bit out of my price range. Any thoughts on this camera if I decide to make the investment?

I am currently looking at the Sony A-6000. Does anyone know if this camera will overcome the 2 obstacles I mentioned? Do you have a different recommendation? I don't have an allegiance to Sony; it is just what my local dealer recommends.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I am, at best, a hobbyist and have a lot to learn.

Thank you,
.....Gord

What kind a connection between camera and monitor? Basic a/v out?

Does it maybe need a driver for the monitor? Doesn't seem to be much info on the web about external monitors.

Nikon D5300/5500 would be perfect or any recent Canon Rebels would be good too.

The A6000 is pretty awesome, but in all honesty if you are going to buy the Sony A6000 just like Nerwin said you should go with the D5300 for your videos. It will do what you need and then some, but before you purchase it check to see if that is the camera that you really want. 12 Best Blogging Cameras For Bloggers To Buy Today I'm a Nikon fan myself, but you seem to like Sony. If you wanted more help DigitalRev TV reviewed this camera .

Most reactions

Back