Advice needed on first zoom zens.

:icon_cheers::icon_cheers::icon_cheers::icon_cheers:
I really do not think a monopod is a net positive for action/sports work on a light camera/lens combo. On a big, heavy, 7 to 8 pound lens (200/2, 300/2.8) the momnopod is a net positive, but a 70-300 f/4~5.6 type lens is small, light, easy to handle, so no mneed for a monopod. Just keep the shutter speeds up, and fast, to stop most motion, or all of the motion.

Set a FAST shutter speed, like 1/700 or faster, like 1/800, or whatnot, maybe even 1/1000 second on close action that moves left to right, across the field. Make sure the ISO level can give the right exposure. Outdoors in bright winter-season daylight, f/5 or so, or f/5.6, will be about where you want to be.

I think the non-VC model would be fine. You're in a budget zone where you cannot quite reach the high-end, fast zoom lenses, so if the non-VC is affordable, why not go for it?

As Derrel says the monopod isn't a "stabilizer" but a "this thing weighs too heavy to use for a long time" support. When I use my 80-200/2.8 it's hand held. When I use my 150-600 its mostly on a monopod. I've handheld it before but it gets heavy quickly. And if you do use a monopod you'll want it connected to the lens through a lens collar, so that you can get vertical shots if you need them (otherwise you'll whack someone with the monopod as you turn the camera).

Thanks a lot for your responses guys! Your input has helped me tremendously! :icon_cheers: :icon_salut:

Most reactions

Back