Advice Needed: Portrait Photography

kirbym2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I think I'm at a place where I want to start expanding my photography to paid jobs. I'm interested in getting into portrait photography, and perhaps corporate headshots. My question relates to the equipment required. I don't have an FX camera, and I don't really intend on getting one anytime soon. With that in mind, my focus is more on lighting and modifiers.

I'm not certain what type of lighting setup is ideal for portraits or headshots. I have an SB-600 flash, but nothing else when it comes to lighting. A lot of lighting setups I've seen include softboxes, reflectors, continuous lighting, etc.

Any advice that can be given would be much appreciated. I am by no means a professional, and would not intend to market myself as such. I know there is much to be done on the business side of things. For now I'm more interested in acquiring some equipment, and practicing. If this type of work is something that I have a knack for, then I may pursue the necessary legalities associated with a photography business and go from there.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Hi Mike,
First and foremost, you don't NEEEEEEd Fx body. It is a wonderful piece of equipment but isn't necessary.
Lighting, on the other hand is important.
SB600, is a good enough of a flash... One simple setup is having sb600 on a lightstand firing into a white wall (or other reflective surface) to bounce of and give you a nice soft light. Of course w/ that comes into play exposure.
If you have an average kit lenses that comes with many cameras (18-200, 18-105, 18-55) those lenses having sweet spots of about f/7.1-11. You might find your self a bit underexposed bouncing sb600 into large enough surface and exposing properly at smaller apertures. Perhaps one of the cheapest and yet greatest lenses that are out there is 50 1.8. At least in NY area, on craigslist they are under $100.

I've used flash-softboxes outdoors. Works well as a fill flash, but I wouldn't let it be my main light. On the same note, placing a white/shoot-through reflector and shooting through it, MIGHT give you results you're looking for. Also, purchasing umbrella bracket and placing umbrella w/ the flash - another possibility.

I often shoot small private affairs, my go to gear are my two speedlites w/ umbrellas and fast lens. Last time I've had similar setup, if I remember setting correctly, I was at ISO 400, 1/250sec at f/4 (with 50 1.4) and 1/4-1/2 power (24mm zoom) on sb900s both were about 12 feet away from the subject. Upbrellas (I think those are 32"). This vanue, as much as I enjoy working there, has one outlet at a far corner of the room. Every time I'm there, my studio lights never comes with me. (On sb600, the power settings would be about 1/2 power at least, maybe blasting it a full power).

I don't advertise my self as a natural light photographer (light is light, its just a matter of learning how to work with different types of light), but look into working primarily outdoors (if you're limited on gear).
I used to work with Nikon 18-200. It does the job at f/8, but I was in the studio settings where every aspect of exposure was carefully controlled by my strobes.

This is a pretty cool site about lighting. Butterfly
Classical/traditional lighting. Learn the basics.

I think I'm at a place where I want to start expanding my photography to paid jobs.
I've never seen your work but based on the statement alone "If you're ready, then you should know the gear needed" ;) Are you sure you're ready?
'With great power comes great responsibilities' - Spidy uncle

Good Luck,
Joe

Okay first of all, if you're taking money in exchange for services, you're classified as a professinal (Especially in the eyes of Revenue Canada and the City of Vancouver). People's expectations change a LOT when they give you money for a service, and they're NOT likely to accept excuses, second-best, etc, etc. I STRONGLY encourage you NOT to put the cart before the horse. Once you feel your skills are strong enough, then get your paperwork and legalities in line, develop your business plan, get insurance, business license, etc, and THEN and ONLY then, hang out your shingle.

Now, on to your questions: A crop-body is fine for headshots; I've done some very nice ones (IMO) with my old D300, and since you'll be adding light, ISO & noise are really issues.

Continuous lighting is NOT suitable for this sort of work - speedlights however work very well. I have a portable headshot kit which consists of two speedlights, one 30x30 lastolite SB, on 36x48 reflector & stand, one 36x60 lastolite scrim, and two light stands (as well as triggers, clamps, etc). Most of my headshots are done with a single speedlight shooting into an SB, with the reflector on the opposite side.

There are lots of places you can go for in-depth information on portraiture. You need to research equipment, lighting, posing, post processing, props and backgrounds for starters. Your local public library would be a good place to start.

As to your question, every photographer will have a slightly different set of light modifiers depending on his style, his shooting location, his clientele and his budget. However, a cheap setup for you to start practicing would be an umbrella and stand for your flash, a means of reliably firing your flash off camera, a reflector and a stool for your model to sit on. More complex lighting could be a set of good quality strobes for main, fill, hair and background, a large soft box, a smaller soft box, a beauty dish, a couple of reflectors, some scrims, some gels, some snoots, a stand with various paper or cloth backgrounds, a flash meter, a camera stand, a display monitor, .... and the list goes on.

One big question that must be asked is how much money do you want to spend and how much time can you devote to learning and building a portfolio?

Okay first of all, if you're taking money in exchange for services, you're classified as a professinal (Especially in the eyes of Revenue Canada and the City of Vancouver). People's expectations change a LOT when they give you money for a service, and they're NOT likely to accept excuses, second-best, etc, etc. I STRONGLY encourage you NOT to put the cart before the horse. Once you feel your skills are strong enough, then get your paperwork and legalities in line, develop your business plan, get insurance, business license, etc, and THEN and ONLY then, hang out your shingle.

Now, on to your questions: A crop-body is fine for headshots; I've done some very nice ones (IMO) with my old D300, and since you'll be adding light, ISO & noise are really issues.

Continuous lighting is NOT suitable for this sort of work - speedlights however work very well. I have a portable headshot kit which consists of two speedlights, one 30x30 lastolite SB, on 36x48 reflector & stand, one 36x60 lastolite scrim, and two light stands (as well as triggers, clamps, etc). Most of my headshots are done with a single speedlight shooting into an SB, with the reflector on the opposite side.

Thanks for the feedback and example of a kit suitable for this type of work. I'm gathering that from an equipment perspective I really need to invest in a softbox, and reflector (at a minimum). I do have some lightstands, and have ordered a trigger, so you've given me a good place to start. As far as setup, what do you recommend for background? I've heard people recommend seemless paper. Any suggestions to this end?

To your point about the professional/business side of things. I hear and agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly. While I would like to go in that direction, I am not at the place today where I would be willing to charge. I'd like to build up a bit of a portfolio first, and then really examine the realities of setting up a photography business. There is a lot involved there, and while I see it as a goal - I'm not there yet.

Thanks for the feedback and example of a kit suitable for this type of work. I'm gathering that from an equipment perspective I really need to invest in a softbox, and reflector (at a minimum). I do have some lightstands, and have ordered a trigger, so you've given me a good place to start. As far as setup, what do you recommend for background? I've heard people recommend seemless paper. Any suggestions to this end?

Paper & background stands are a PIA to transport, so a plain, blank wall in the subject's location if you're going to them, seamless paper in-studio.

To your point about the professional/business side of things. I hear and agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly. While I would like to go in that direction, I am not at the place today where I would be willing to charge. I'd like to build up a bit of a portfolio first, and then really examine the realities of setting up a photography business. There is a lot involved there, and while I see it as a goal - I'm not there yet.
:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back