Advice on 3 Lenses for D7000

If you're heavily into portraiture and you think that might end up being where you settle in, you will need much more lighting than a single speedlight. You may want to consider some strobes w/modeling lights and good modifiers and start practicing with that. Since you also like to shoot food (I noticed in your other thread) and other small stationary objects, you might consider swapping out one of your primes with a Micro prime. This will allow you, with at least one lens, to focus to 1:1 magnification but also be able to continue to use it as a portraiture lens since it will also focus to infinity. In general it will be slower (only f/2.8) but optical quality is still very high and you should be stopping down in a studio anyway. Have fun with your new toys!

What would you consider for lots-of-movement photography? Like say... a small child? I don't really like the idea of being confined to a studio and much prefer to be outdoors during the day when shooting portraits if possible. But considering there will probably be times when I do need to be in a studio setting, I will definitely look into strobes et al.

Yes, I do love to shoot food and small stationary objects in general so I will definitely look into a good Micro prime! Thank you!

If you're heavily into portraiture and you think that might end up being where you settle in, you will need much more lighting than a single speedlight. You may want to consider some strobes w/modeling lights and good modifiers and start practicing with that. Since you also like to shoot food (I noticed in your other thread) and other small stationary objects, you might consider swapping out one of your primes with a Micro prime. This will allow you, with at least one lens, to focus to 1:1 magnification but also be able to continue to use it as a portraiture lens since it will also focus to infinity. In general it will be slower (only f/2.8) but optical quality is still very high and you should be stopping down in a studio anyway. Have fun with your new toys!

Also! Which micro prime would you suggest if you don't mind me asking?

There are 3 Micro primes in the range of focal lengths you are looking at... 40mm, 60mm, 85mm. Any one of these will give you plenty of working distance for photographing food and small objects. If you were to move into insects and moving critters you might want a longer working distance than these offer, but for now, these should suit you well. Also, for moving children indoors any lens will be adequate with the 910 mounted and bounced. The D7K also has very good noise performance so even if you don't have the speedlight mounted, you should be able to get a good exposure unless it is a relatively dark room. For outdoors, flash isn't going to be necessary to get 'enough' light, but when experimenting around with the flash outdoors, you'll probably find that it works very well and is more pleasing when used as fill light or to help get proper exposure for the subject AND the very bright sky behind them. In these cases, you'll want to pick up some cheap flash gels for your (soon to be) SB-910 which will allow you to match the color of ambient light. The last thing you want is a photo with proper background white balance and a subject with a blueish face.

I have a D7000 and a Tamron 17-50 2.8. I'm going to look at a Nikon 70-200 vr1. Today and will probably pick it up.. Tis seems like It will cover a lot of bases for me. And then maybe get afew primes.. Can I use extension tubes on my 17-50 for macro.. Don't mean to hijack.. I agree get the good glass first.. The D7000 is more than capable really.

There are 3 Micro primes in the range of focal lengths you are looking at... 40mm, 60mm, 85mm. Any one of these will give you plenty of working distance for photographing food and small objects. If you were to move into insects and moving critters you might want a longer working distance than these offer, but for now, these should suit you well. Also, for moving children indoors any lens will be adequate with the 910 mounted and bounced. The D7K also has very good noise performance so even if you don't have the speedlight mounted, you should be able to get a good exposure unless it is a relatively dark room. For outdoors, flash isn't going to be necessary to get 'enough' light, but when experimenting around with the flash outdoors, you'll probably find that it works very well and is more pleasing when used as fill light or to help get proper exposure for the subject AND the very bright sky behind them. In these cases, you'll want to pick up some cheap flash gels for your (soon to be) SB-910 which will allow you to match the color of ambient light. The last thing you want is a photo with proper background white balance and a subject with a blueish face.

Haha! You're brilliant. All very sound advice! Thank you. I feel like I could be taking notes and just make a shopping list from this thread. LOL

105MM f/2.8. Amazing lens.

105MM f/2.8. Amazing lens.

Oooo, and not totally out of my budget range! Most excellent! Thanks!

I LOVE that lens. It is definitely on my list of things to get in the future. :D

how can you love that lens if you never used it? wtf.

My mentor owns a D700 and the lens. Based on the work I've seen him do with it, it is a beautiful, well made lens. I don't have to use the lens to respect the quality I know it is capable of producing.

can we see your mentor work?

how can you love that lens if you never used it? wtf.

My mentor owns a D700 and the lens. Based on the work I've seen him do with it, it is a beautiful, well made lens. I don't have to use the lens to respect the quality I know it is capable of producing.

can we see your mentor work?

I don't really see what my mentor, the work I've done with him, or the work he does, has to do with the purpose of this thread? So, I'm sorry, but no. I'd rather not derail things. There are more appropriate places on this forum for that kind of discussion. Perhaps I'll make a post in one of them at some point. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back