Advice on a Lens cap

Lenmon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

First time posting and searching for some help.

Im looking for some feedback and critiques about a project my friend and i are working on.

After many lost lens caps and frustrating moments, we came up with an idea of a lens cap that would be be attached via filter threads that would swing outwards with the help of a spring mechanism.

Im currently refraining from posting links until further notification as im not too sure if it would violate any forum guidelines.

With that said, how does that as a base idea sound? Would that solve any of your problems regarding lens caps? All feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!!

It's been done before. I recall seeing such contraptions back in the 70s. Obviously, it never took off.

You'll run into issues with filters and hoods.

It's been done before. I recall seeing such contraptions back in the 70s. Obviously, it never took off.

You'll run into issues with filters and hoods.

Thanks for your feedback!
I understand that having certain limitations might cut off a certain percentage and was thinking more of targeting amateur street photographers. Do you think that would still be a challenge?

Some spring-loaded caps were made for compacts like the Lumix LX. Are these similar in concept to your idea?

Just the function would be similar, instead of it opening like a flower, our lens cap would swing outwards not unlike a door.
I hope that gives you a clearer picture.

Have you heard of the Hoocap or the Automatic Self-Opening lens Cap. I would look at doing something more like one of those.

A hinge has an issue where the user could hit the cap or hinge point against something and do some real damage to the threads of the lens.

I like the idea of an iris type of opening that was automatic or semi-automatic and was either part of the lens hood or fit between the lens and lens hood just like a regular screw-on filter. I would make both, the stand-alone cap and the lens hood/cap. Not everyone uses a lens hood. The lens hood/cap combo would allow for custom lens caps (most lens caps are very boring).

I do like the idea, as I have lens cap placement issues. If you were to make a simple hinged door, it would need the following features for me to use it:

Always opens directly downwards
Doesn't flap around when open
Very sturdy locking mechanism
Opens just less than 90 degrees (so my hand won't hit it while manual focusing)
Can be opened and closed easily with one hand
Enough flex somwhere in the design that banging it on a railing when open won't definitely snap it off

That last one is important, because I know that at first I would forget it was there while moving around and looking through the viewfinder.

IMG_7663.JPG

IMG_7666.JPG
I own one of the devices that you were talking about. It's made by OP/TECH. The one that I own is for a 52 mm thread lens. I paid two dollars for it at a pawnshop. This is not the first of this type of device. Here are two iPhone snaps of the device.

View attachment 153468

View attachment 153469 I own one of the devices that you were talking about. It's made by OP/TECH. The one that I own is for a 52 mm thread lens. I paid two dollars for it at a pawnshop. This is not the first of this type of device. Here are two iPhone snaps of the device.
Nice to opt this. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 153468

View attachment 153469 I own one of the devices that you were talking about. It's made by OP/TECH. The one that I own is for a 52 mm thread lens. I paid two dollars for it at a pawnshop. This is not the first of this type of device. Here are two iPhone snaps of the device.

Slashed from ear to ear and shanked for good measure :fangs:

.......... This is not the first of this type of device.............

Translation: Time to hire an intellectual rights and patent lawyer and do a patent search.

Most reactions

Back