Advice on a new pic, Please!

DScience

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went downtown after work today, and I was not all that happy with my shots. I think one thing is that I'm becoming more picky, and figuring out what I like and what I don't like.

I have a photo that i'm looking for real advice/critiques. Mainly because this is a shot I would like to get again at some point, in the best way possible. So basically, I would like advice in how to get this shot in a more 'creative way'. It's a huge statue, and at first I wanted the whole things to be in the picture. But now that I look at it, I'm not so sure.

3512202386_6d98842e8b.jpg

If you take it without the horizon, it would become rather surreal.
I like the image you have there. Very cool sculpture.

Seriously people...this is not just for 'pats on the back'...does anyone have any real suggestions for this picture? (but thank you for your input Jeweler)

Last edited:
well i do like the angle...makes for a nice composition.

one thing i do notice, and im not sure what your PP was for this image, is some halo'ing around the heads and arms...most noticable against the deep blue sky color.

i like that the angle you took this in really helps to show just how big this sculpture is...and if youre not married to the idea of having the whole figures in the shot, i would really get under them more pull back to 18mm and see if you can get down and shoot from underneath...maybe try getting from the torsos up, including the arms.
i do like BJs idea of not having any of that horizon in there. get it all against the sky and i think you'll have some real winners.
and dont just wait for nice sky like youve got here...get different conditions...we had some crazy tones in the sky lastnight and all i kept thinking was how cool the weird colorcast would appear in photos. too bad it was during my hour commute and was gone by the time i got home.

you have a good subject here...take advantage. :D

I like the Subject, Not the angle. I also dont care for the background. The statue looks like it has some size to it. Id like too see the shot taken on a day when theres more cloud cover. I think it would look cool if it was taken with a Ultra Wide from the ground position. An HDR shot would be cool too...

I like the contrast of the blue and white, but I would've tried to shoot this from an angle that it was not so obvious what was going on. Make the viewer do some work in interpreting the photo and let the lines be the subject, not just the sculpture itself. The benefit of the angle you have chosen is the nice definition of shape from the shadows which I think looks great. I'd maybe play with the crop a bit to see if you can convey what you want to convey without it being so direct (that is if you don't reshoot it).

depending on which direction it's facing, i'd try taking this at sunrise or sunset, where it's dark enough to hide some of the traffic lights and such in the background but still light enough to get a contrast of the white statues with a brighter sky. i like the angle but as others have said i'd try a wider focal length if available.

Cool Sculpture. I see some buildings in the distance. Anything on the side you shot from close enough that you might be able to get a 'giants looking down' effect? Then you might be able to take the background out of the equation more or less.

First off, thank you everyone for the advice, it really helps me think about this shot...which I definitely would like to shoot again.

Some of my photos that I quickly PP in Aperture develop the halo's...i'll go back and use PS for this one.

I like the contrast of the blue and white, but I would've tried to shoot this from an angle that it was not so obvious what was going on. Make the viewer do some work in interpreting the photo and let the lines be the subject, not just the sculpture itself. The benefit of the angle you have chosen is the nice definition of shape from the shadows which I think looks great. I'd maybe play with the crop a bit to see if you can convey what you want to convey without it being so direct (that is if you don't reshoot it).

Sherman, I like this idea of a different angle. What do you think, should the angle keep the whole statue in the picture, or more focus on the top portion, trying to eliminate the horizon view? Do you think different lighting would be proper??

I would definitely agree that if you really like this art piece (or whatever you call it) definitely shoot at sunset/sunrise and or wait until the sky presents something interesting to add to the shot. Also what I think may come out interesting, especially depending on the lighting is don't be afraid to whip out a zoom and get some close ups, crop some of the info out, zoom in on an arm and head or something. You never know what will catch the eye.

You also might try at sunrise/dusk to use a flash for some fill light, I tend to love these types of pictures, although I haven't personally experimented with it.

Sherman, I like this idea of a different angle. What do you think, should the angle keep the whole statue in the picture, or more focus on the top portion, trying to eliminate the horizon view? Do you think different lighting would be proper??

It depends on the message you want to send to your viewer. If you want to playful relationship of the two figures to show through your shot, you just have to frame it in a way that the viewer can recognize that relationship. I personally would probably do something more abstract where I didn't care about what the sculptor was trying to convey and just use the lines and forms to make something of my own. The idea of shooting in lower light with a fill flash could be good too, but also just having the lower shadows might add to the mood you're trying to create. Do they light these at night? That would be cool to shoot too, the white figures against a black backdrop. If you got the DOF shallow enough, this same shot could include the stoplights and stuff as it wold provide nice bokeh with the various colored lights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back