Advice on a paid event I'm doing........

Elizabeth30

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted this in another forum but I need all the advice I can get so here it is:

I am not really in business yet. I start a FB page in the fall advertising and also did a craigslist ad. THEN I realized how much I still need to learn about photography so I left up the FB but stop trying to advertise. I totally forgot about the craigslist ad until I got a phone call yesterday.

So a very sweet lady contacted me wanting to know if I could be present at an event she is going to be hosting at her home in March. She said she wasn't looking for professional photos since they would cost too much so I agreed to take the pics.

The event is a pre-wedding ceremony for a Muslim type of cultural rituals. She expressed her wanting me to capture the bright colors in their outfits and also all of the ceremony rituals they will be doing.

So here's what I have to use, a Rebel T2i, 18-55mm kit lens and 50mm 1.8 prime. I just ordered an extra battery and I have a speed light. Now the ceremony will be in her basement. she says they will have all the lights on and some Christmas lights hanging as well.

I have concerns about the lighting and my lenses. I have my big speedlight flash but I honestly have no clue what is the best way to use an external flash like that. I understand natural lighting but haven't gotten to studying about external flashes.

Also, I want to be able to use my prime as the kit lens just takes really blah photos. but I'm not sure about adequate space to back up and move around where I need to with a prime. Do you think a 50mm will be ok? what would you use for this type of event? Should I rent a lens?

Is there any way you can go to her home before hand to see what kind of space you'll be working in??

Arrange a meeting with her well before-hand (ie as soon as possible) and have a look at the basement. Have her turn the lights on the way they will be. Walk around with your camera and flash (bounced flash is your friend) and check out the "views" and shoot some sample pictures. Also search the 'net for a right's license/usage agreement which will specify what you will provide her, what you will be paid and what she is entitled to do with the images (eg web use only, max 600 pixels, or unlimited use, or...).

If you don't know how to use flash, you have no business taking a position where you are obviously going to need it. If you want COLOR... in a basement, Flash is the only way you are going to get it. Now we know WHY you came back! :grumpy:

If you don't know how to use flash, you have no business taking a position where you are obviously going to need it. If you want COLOR... in a basement, Flash is the only way you are going to get it. Now we know WHY you came back! :grumpy:

awe, don't be like that ... :( seriously I didn't even think about the event when I posted in here yesterday. I didn't "come back" I've around, just reading everyone elses stuff and hanging low. I really value your advise and would love any that you have to give!!!! Please.......

The only way it is going to be hard is if it doesn't have white ceiling. Better if the walls are light colored.

Yes, I'll have to arrange a meeting. I'm sure she would be fine with that. But I'm not sure where is the best place to bounce the flash. Probably straight up? Anyone have any good links on bouncing flash lighting?

Elizabeth30 said:
Yes, I'll have to arrange a meeting. I'm sure she would be fine with that. But I'm not sure where is the best place to bounce the flash. Probably straight up? Anyone have any good links on bouncing flash lighting?

Just practice in your house. Bounce it off the ceiling, wall, etc.

Be careful around people - don't want to blast them in the face ;) (not usually an issue with bouncing off the ceiling).

It really depends. Sometimes straight up still gives harsh shadows, kinda like shooting in midday sun. Have you not played with yours at all?

YouTube usually has some tutorials on how to work your flash and describes what all the settings do. (I saw your post on the other forum!)

It really depends. Sometimes straight up still gives harsh shadows, kinda like shooting in midday sun. Have you not played with yours at all?

Yes, I have but I'm not up to speed on it..... HAHAHAHA, speed, get it? LOLOLOL Oh gosh, well seriously I use it all the time but I don't know what's technically correct when using it. So far I think most of the time it's easiest to bounce the flash at the ceiling but angled to bounce up and slightly behind me. But that's just from experimenting.

you will either need a orange or green gel on your flash depending on the type of lighting. Go to "the strobist" website and read through lighting 101 about ten times and you will start to get a feel for what you need. It's been reported to be the off camera bible of the internet. I have learned a lot from it.

How much lead time do you have before the ceremony?

One thing that I wanted to mention is that the pre-wedding rituals in Muslim/Hindu/Sikh/etc ceremonies can be much more important than the actual wedding, so just a heads up to be prepared for that. A suggestion in addition to the photography-related advice you are getting- if you don't already know (you say in your OP that this is a "Muslim type ceremony")- find out which religion the ceremony is. That way you can do some research beforehand on what is involved.

Most reactions

Back