Advice on a paid event I'm doing........

The event is a pre-wedding ceremony for a Muslim type of cultural rituals. She expressed her wanting me to capture the bright colors in their outfits and also all of the ceremony rituals they will be doing.

So here's what I have to use, a Rebel T2i, 18-55mm kit lens and 50mm 1.8 prime. I just ordered an extra battery and I have a speed light.

I second the idea to cancel. There will be ceremonial rituals taking place. This is a once in a lifetime event. You don't have the skills or equipment to do this justice.Unless her basement is HUGE, a 50mm lens is not going to cut, esp considering the crop factor on your camera. You'll likely need a wide angle lens. Yes, the kit lens is wider, but as you well know, it's not exactly of a professional quality. Yes, she said she's not looking for professional pictures but if she's paying you, then you should have high enough standards for yourself not to be putting subpar work out there with your name on it. Not to mention backup equipment in case something were to happen to yours halfway through one of these rituals. Are you going to go out and rent all this extra gear?

Also, do you have insurance? What if someone trips over your camera bag, or you back into something and break it? What happens if your card gets corrupted and you can't produce the images? This isn't a family portrait that you can just reshoot.

I know it's flattering to be asked, but you aren't ready for this.

I hear things work out better if one completes the survey when exiting BestBuy
bigthumb.gif

I hear things work out better if one completes the survey when exiting BestBuy
bigthumb.gif

Best Buy should just start carrying a stack of Business Registration and Department of Revenue forms in their DSLR section :lol:

Yea! I can see it now! Best Buy Marketing: "Buy a Camera and you have a Career! Skill and Knowledge don't matter... not with a camera like this! It will do all of the work for you!" (very pertinent for this thread, don't you think?)

That is a tough gig....not really a good thing for you to try to do your first time out of the gate.
I would pass....practice shooting in your living room at home with the shades closed so there is no light.
Once you have it nailed then you can reasonably expect to succeed with this type of thing.

Here's an idea... Go shoot a friends birthday party or something, and shoot like you'd shoot on the day of the pre-wedding ceremony. Then post your pictures of the birthday party on here, we'll tell you what you can do to get better.

I've been shooting for a few years, and I still find myself practicing shots the night before and setting up different scenarios to make sure I'm comfortable.

I wish I had the ingenuity to charge for services I couldn't reliably provide when I first picked up a camera. I might have been rich by now...

Yes, I'll have to arrange a meeting. I'm sure she would be fine with that. But I'm not sure where is the best place to bounce the flash. Probably straight up? Anyone have any good links on bouncing flash lighting?

The ceiling if its white would work or you could buy a reflector. That shouldnt cost much. Then you could direct it as you want. I would suggest practicing at home as much as you can until the event. The only thing that would scare me is that you only have a kit zoom with variable aperture. The variance will effect the use of flash and you would have to keep readjusting if you zoom in on stuff.

This is a huge recipe for disaster. Just saying.
So... Go there and take copious photos of the place and post them for us to see.
The best use of your flash is bounced and I am praying she's got a white ceiling down there. It won't be perfect, but it will be ok.
White ceiling with colored walls: I'd bounce from the ceiling angled up to just before straight up.
White ceiling with white walls that aren't miles apart: Bounce from the corner of the celing/wall behind you at a slight angle to one side.
Colored ceiling and walls: create yourself a DIY flash bounce like the Lumiquest. Do-It-Yourself Flash Bounce Card

you will either need a orange or green gel on your flash depending on the type of lighting. Go to "the strobist" website and read through lighting 101 about ten times and you will start to get a feel for what you need. It's been reported to be the off camera bible of the internet. I have learned a lot from it.

This. If it's tungsten lighting, get your hands on a sheet of CTO gel. This is a must. You should really try full CTO and 3/4 and see which one matches best.

I disagree that you should cancel. She already understands you're not a pro and she is not willing to hire a pro. So worse case scenario is she gets unusable pics or no pics at all (camera breaks down, forgot card, battery dies, etc...) and you don't get paid because she is understandbly very upset, but you learn some very valuable lessons. People here might mention law suit possibilities but as long as you're accurately representing your abilities, I think you're fine. Just make sure you do everything in writing.

Best case scenario is you surprise both yourself and your client with some very nice shots that she will treasure forever and you'll get some notice from other prospects at the event, and you'll still learn some very valuable lessons while getting paid.

I wish I had the ingenuity to charge for services I couldn't reliably provide when I first picked up a camera. I might have been rich by now...

or Dead POOR from being sued! :)

you will either need a orange or green gel on your flash depending on the type of lighting. Go to "the strobist" website and read through lighting 101 about ten times and you will start to get a feel for what you need. It's been reported to be the off camera bible of the internet. I have learned a lot from it.

This. If it's tungsten lighting, get your hands on a sheet of CTO gel. This is a must. You should really try full CTO and 3/4 and see which one matches best.

I disagree that you should cancel. She already understands you're not a pro and she is not willing to hire a pro. So worse case scenario is she gets unusable pics or no pics at all (camera breaks down, forgot card, battery dies, etc...) and you don't get paid because she is understandbly very upset, but you learn some very valuable lessons. People here might mention law suit possibilities but as long as you're accurately representing your abilities, I think you're fine. Just make sure you do everything in writing.

Best case scenario is you surprise both yourself and your client with some very nice shots that she will treasure forever and you'll get some notice from other prospects at the event, and you'll still learn some very valuable lessons while getting paid.

Worse case scenario? They just have to redo the ceremony when the OP learns how to use a camera.

You are in over your head. Backout while you can and save some face. Then go shoot and learn how to use that speedlight.

Flash gel is a must and cheap.

Well I can say this, you're more confident then I am. I just did my first event and I was so nervous about it. And I did it for free.

Just a thought and anyone feel to correct me, but maybe you shouldn't charge for it, but still do it. At this point I wouldn't charge for my work, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to help someone out or take on a job (for FREE) to get the experience. Getting the experience and possibly adding something to your portfolio is well worth an afternoon.

Most reactions

Back