Advice on a second lens?

Digitalize

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new here, so apologies if i've missed a place to introduce myself.

I've got a Canon 450D, have the stock lens, and until last weekend, a Tamron 70-300 (Which came in the bundle) At first it wouldn't zoom, then it wouldn't focus either, long story short its in pieces on my desk, fairly sure it can't be fixed, the zoom sleeve is jammed in, must of had some serious pressure put on it during traveling :(

Anyway, now looking to replace, with a better, similar lens. Budgets about £250. Will be picking up a 50mm f1.8 at some point, so really thinking of a zoom lens. I also do have a 35-105 USM, but it doesn't seem to like to focus all the time. I'm thinking something similar to my 70-300, but maybe not as bigger zoom, and obviously a better lens, as I've got about £100 more budget.

I've looked at Canon's 55-250 F4/5.6, or the 75-300 F4/5.6 USM.

I've got a varied style atm, as i am still doing my A2, so really the lens needs to fall into that oh so annoying category of 'General Purpose'. Faster the better though, as I'm a big Motorsport fan, and would love to start shooting some Drifting or Rally events.

Any help would be great, as i am still fairly clueless about lenses, whats the best to buy etc.

Either of those looks like fine choices to me. Anything faster (f2.8 for example) is going to be more than your stated budget. USM is generally the best focus motor Canon make, but be sure to read some reviews of both as some late micromotor lenses can be pretty fast focussing too if you don't mind hearing them.

Image stabilisation (IS) is probably no benefit to you if you are shooting fast moving subjects, such as drifting but it is nice to have for general purpose use.

Ideally, I'd recommend either the 70-200mm F4 L or the 70-300mm IS. Either of those might be above your budget though.

There are several options in the 70-300mm range. The only 'good' one is the IS though, the others are affordable but also cheap, if you know what I mean. Still, maybe not a bad option for you.

The 70-200mm F4 L is an outstanding lens, one of the sharpest zooms you will find. It's actually not that expensive for what you get. There are other versions; F4 IS, F2.8 & F2.8 IS....all are really good but they get big and expensive.

Any of the L Lenses are sadly too much, and i can get the 55-250 for £190ish, which seems pretty good to me. Obviously i'd love an L series lens, something super sharp through the zoom, but i just can't afford one right now.

I'm used to the low build quality lenses, so hopefully the 55-250 won't feel too plasticky or something, and its gotta be an improvement over the Tamron i had.

Ordered the 55-250 IS and 50 f1.8 for £260 delivered, and also picked up a Manfrotto tripod while in Jessops for £40, seems fairly sturdy, compresses into something i can easily chuck into a backpack.

Can't wait for them to arrive now:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back