advice on an SLR

Rob said:
It depends on what you define as flash synch! Here's the basics:

Cameras usually have either an onboard or a shoe for a flash. They also usually have a connector, called a PC connector which does much the same thing - sends a signal to the flash to fire.

The flash gun fires a really fast burst of light. The shutter is open for a length of time... normally about 1/125th. The flash only exposes the subject, the camera exposes the background (or doesn't). You can take a night picture of ten seconds, get a mate to wander into it, flash him, keep the shutter open for another few seconds then close it, and you'll have a spooky, night that looks like day picture. The synch usually refers to whether the flash fires at the start, middle or end of the exposure. The timing affects any moving objects in the frame. Synch can also refer to a number of connected flashes being told to fire at once.

Helpful?

Rob

very helpful.....
would there be a shutter speed too fast for sync?
would it be possible to flash sync @ 1/4000?:confused:
...if it is that is pretty crazy....

Buy a Nikon you will have the most to choose from now and into the future. Plus every attachment need for what you describe. Do an ebay search and see the numbers.

Maybe the best 35mm film SLR ever made: used: FE2, FM2N at about $150.00 on ebay. new: FM3A about $500.00 The FE2 and FM3A has a handy auto feature that does not interfer.

You are an unusually wise and intelligent person. I commend you. "so the more manual it is, the better. Not that I have a problem with automation, it's just that I don't want to get confused by all of the features most AE cameras offer."

duelinthedeep said:
very helpful.....
would there be a shutter speed too fast for sync?
would it be possible to flash sync @ 1/4000?:confused:
...if it is that is pretty crazy....

Some of the TTL same-brand flashes allow very high sync speeds, but not really in the 1/4000th region. It's a bit complicated to spell out, if you're interested, here's a Ken Rockwell opinon:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/syncspeed.htm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back