Advice on books...

cubitfox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm probably the most inexperienced photographer on this forum, since I know nothing about ISO speeds, exposure, etc., and I really need a few books that really explain the technical side of photography along with a few compositional techniques.

Basically, I need a really thorough guide for beginners that is easy to understand. So far, I'm looking into John Hedgecoe's books, but I still want advice.

So, what are a few books you recommend for beginners?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-7023856-0301639?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184466146&sr=8-1]This is all you need for now.[/ame]

would anybody recommend

Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography
by Bryan Peterson?

I would, after you read the book I linked above.

I just took a precursor step and bought Understanding Digital Photography by Bryan Peterson who also wrote the Understanding Exposure book. I will buy Understanding Exposure after I waid my way through the Digital Photography book. I suppose it's a general to specific approach I thought would be best for me to take. Just my 1.32547698 cents:drool:.

have a good one
3Eo

Seems the UDP isnt as well regarded as UE - at least according to reviews on Amazon. But it still gets high marks.

Seems the UDP isnt as well regarded as UE

Well, I can say this: from a beginners perspective I feel I have gotten my moneys worth from doing the typical new book browsing, reading the introduction, and the first chapter. For example, I got a different perspective on the JPEG/raw debate as well the sRGB/adobe1998 preference that I haven't heard elsewhere. I guess what I'm saying is that by the time I finish UDP I feel I will be totally primed for UE.:er::)

Just to stress ANDS! point, Peterson does stress that exposure is 1 of the 2 shortcomings for newbies, so IMO UE is essential reading irregardless (it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.) of whether you read UDP or not.

have a good one
3Eo

Most reactions

Back