Advice on buying this enlarger

SLR Cowboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found a used Besler 23Ciii enlarger looks to be clean and complete except missing lens and lens mount card. I think I remember these as being great enlargers. What is the difference between the 23cii and the 23ciii? Is it easier to find parts for both? Are they interchangeable? Will I have trouble finding a lens? They are asking $100.00 Any advice would be appreciated. Doing black and white only.

That's a fairly common enlarger, so finding a lens board won't be much of an issue. Lenses are a dime a dozen these days.

Go for it.

Today there are GREAT deals on GOOD lenses. Just be patient when shopping.
You don't have to do what I did when I started, and had to settle for "economy" lenses that I could afford.
I have since replace those economy lenses with El-Nikkor and Schneider Componon-S lenses.

Go for it.

Today there are GREAT deals on GOOD lenses. Just be patient when shopping.
You don't have to do what I did when I started, and had to settle for "economy" lenses that I could afford.
I have since replace those economy lenses with El-Nikkor and Schneider Componon-S lenses.
So if using other than Besler lens do I need some type of adapter to fit the enlarger mount?
I will be using primarily for 35mm B&W enlargements of no larger than 11X14

You'll simply need to source a lens board designed for both the enlarger as well as a hole in it that matches the lens.

You'll simply need to source a lens board designed for both the enlarger as well as a hole in it that matches the lens.

As I remember, the standard size lens mount uses a 39mm hole.
There are other mount sizes, but 39mm is the most common.

So if using other than Besler lens do I need some type of adapter to fit the enlarger mount?
I will be using primarily for 35mm B&W enlargements of no larger than 11X14

As was said, just get a lens board for a 39mm lens mount.
Then ANY enlarger lens with a 39mm mount will fit.

Last edited:
As was said, just get a lens board for a 39mm lens mount.
Then ANY lens with a 39mm mount will fit.
The common enlarger lens thread is 39mm diameter with a thread pitch of 26 turns per inch. There was also a camera lens thread of 39mm diameter with a thread pitch of 1mm. I'm not familiar with the latter but, while close, they are not interchangeable. As you say, any 39mm enlarger lens board will be the correct pitch.

From @webestang64 link, you need to get the correct lensboard and lens, for the film format you are printing.
35mm film, printing 11x14 = 50mm lens on a #8021 lensboard.

1670787644292.png

One thing to note.
Looking on the web at pictures of various Beseler lensboards, some are threaded, some are not. I don't know if the #8021 is threaded or not. If the lensboard is NOT threaded, you will need a matching threaded retaining ring to secure the lens onto the lensboard.

Thanks for that link it will be very helpful if I get this enlarger. Still not sure between the Omega and the Besler

Ha, that is like Nikon and Canon. Both are good enlargers.
I am partial to Omega, because that is what I used and am familiar with.
You can't go wrong with either.

I've liked using the Beseler 23c series enlargers. Never used an Omega. I think Beseler is still making enlargers. If you get this enlarger hope you enjoy using it.

Most reactions

Back