advice on concert lens sigma and a tamron

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have a tamron 24-75mm f2.8 for nikon and i have a concert for a friend of mine( none pay gig) and i was wondering if this lens will hold up the job im shooting with a d7000. please give me feedback thank you and i also have a sigma 17-50mm f2.8.

There is no way to tell. What type, indoor/ outdoor, night / day?
Your d7000 is about as good as it gets for high iso shots on a crop camera. I would bring both lenses if possible. Depending on where you are the 17-28 range and the 50-75 range may be needed.

I recently did some shots in a very dim bar with a 35mm f1.8. I kept it at f2.8 to retain a little more dof and sharpness. I ended up using iso 12800 for half the shots(using a d7100 so very similar results to d7000). A little pp in Lightroom and I'd be happy to print them 8x10. The band were happy but the shots were not good enough for anything commercial. You should be ok with your set up but it does depend on expectations. The venue will likely decide the quality if your shots depending on how good the lighting is, but your kit is solid

it will be outside and i get to go any where because i will have a tag saying all access on it so i will boost my iso to 6400 and ill try my tamron first at 5.6 do you think that will do the trick

it will be outside and i get to go any where because i will have a tag saying all access on it so i will boost my iso to 6400 and ill try my tamron first at 5.6 do you think that will do the trick

Unfortunately I can't meter it for you...

I would be more inclined to set the aperture (in manual)at maybe f3.5 just so it's slightly stopped down. If they are a lively bunch set your speed to 1/125-1/250 of a second and possibly auto iso
. If there is motion blur you may have to shoot faster, if they are stationary enough you might get away with slower. At these settings the camera will decide your lowest iso to maintain exposure. No point in being at iso 6400 and 1/4000 of a sec if iso 800 will do at 1/500 sec. These are only a guide, you will need to tweak. Others may have a better approach

When I shoot dark gigs, I pick my shutter speed minimum and try not to drop it any lower.

If you can shoot manual, I would recommend it.

I wouldn't go any higher than 3200 ISO on that camera.

The pictures aren't going to be tack sharp, so I wouldn't worry about shooting at 5.6.

I agree with jaomul on the aspect of shooting a little more open than that.

ok i will give it a shot i know there is alot of lighting on stage that i want to catch in the photo pretty colors.

Most reactions

Back