Advice on equipment needs

nature photography you may want one that focuses at close range (macro as some call it),
Nope everyone calls it macro which can be part of nature photography but then again so can wildlife where the gear is 100% different.
Actually, Macro is specifically a lens that produces an exactly life-size image on the sensor. It has nothing to do with focus range. Many useful, close-focus lenses are not macro.

Thanks for the clarification, because that is what I was getting at was to look at lenses by there shortest focusing distance. Unfortunately, Macro is used as a term that's not totally true to it's meaning as far as getting in close to a subject. True macro just means it produces an image to the sensor that is 1:1, or say with a macro 50mm lens the image is the size and perspective as you'd see with your naked eye. Explain the part about how that figures to close-up photography is a little more involved and you can probably explain it better than I.

I really want to get back to take some classes or get off my tush to do a good bit more study so I could explain it more in depth. Close-up photography is the term I probably should used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@TonyBallas , macro doesn't mean the image size and perspective are what you'd see with your naked eye. It means that the lens can translate 1'' from real life to at least 1'' on the sensor under certain circumstances (when you focus the closest you can). Otherwise you're not shooting macro.

Hi,
Can you please elaborate your question a bit including your budget and your experience?
If you are a beginner I would suggest you get Nikon D3300 and if looking for mid-level then go for Nikon D7200.

HI everyone, I am looking to invest in a camera and lens for taking product shots and nature shots. I am graphic designer expanding my skills. Can anyone give advice on what to look for etc. as bit clueless.
Thanks.

I did a lot of product shots for a living and can assure you that the right lighting is more important than a fancy camera or lens.

Second is learning to shoot products geometrically appealing, but this should be the easy part for you as a graphics designer.

Optimal equipment is a tilt/shift lens like a Nikon PC 85mm or equivalent from other manufacturers and a camera with tethering capabilities. These do not necessarily have to be in the camera itself, third party software and an USB connection can help.

You do not need to buy a camera or lens new, esp when you start it is a good idea to keep cost low. Esp with Nikon lenses my experience is that a used one in very good condition can be sold for the price you paid for it or even more, if you reconsider or upgrade later.

Summary:

Skill is more important than light
Light is more important than lens
Lens is more important than camera
Keeping costs down is more important than the last bit in Image Quality

I agree, lighting is much more important for product shots
for "nature" shots - - a long lens ( Canon 500mm f/4 ) would be good

Most reactions

New Topics

Back