Advice on first basic dslr camera requested

Samantha123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm Sam and I'm new to this forum. I would very much appreciate any advice anyone can give me on buying my first DSLR camera. It doesn't have to be all singing and dancing but I would like one that will give me scope to progress. I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions what I should be looking for. Canon or a Nikon appear to be the most favoured brands but that is as far as I've got. Any suggestions welcome.Thank you.

Samantha, I'm in the exact position as you. I'm looking into buying my first DSLR and so far my favorite I've been looking at is a Nikon, but everyone I've asked has said it's up to the person.
The advice I've gotten is to go to the store and feel them out. Maybe read a lot about DSLR's, like a book, before making your purchase and decide what type's of things you want to shoot. You buy the camera based on what you need. Everyone wants something different for the things they want to shoot! :)

So, point being, it's just a preference thing. For my first camera, I'm planning on getting a Nikon D5100, as I hear it's a pretty good beginner DSLR, but I also ordered a book about everything I need to know concerning digital photography. Amazon has great selections!

Hope I helped some, all I can say is do a TON of research, as I've had to learn.

Hi, I'm Sam and I'm new to this forum. I would very much appreciate any advice anyone can give me on buying my first DSLR camera. It doesn't have to be all singing and dancing but I would like one that will give me scope to progress. I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions what I should be looking for. Canon or a Nikon appear to be the most favoured brands but that is as far as I've got. Any suggestions welcome.Thank you.

Hey Sam! Welcome to the forum :)

Couple of questions for you:

- What's your budget?
- What do you like to photograph?
- Do you have experience with DSLR's?

Welcome to the site.

Both of you might consider browsing the forum and doing a search for 'first dslr' and reading the hundreds of other threads on this same topic.

Welcome aboard, Sam.

For the most part, the cameras in the same price range will have the same features. Assuming you are new to photography, get the one that feels most comfortable in your hands; you are looking for a budget-friendly camera that will help you learn. Don't worry too much about the multitude of available lenses at this stage, as the kit lens that comes with the camera will be fine for a while. If there is any money left in your budget after the camera & lens kit, think about a spare memory card or two and a spare battery.

This site will allow you compare two bodies: Side-by-side camera comparison: Digital Photography Review

Hello and welcome aboard Sam!

Both of you might consider browsing the forum and doing a search for 'first dslr' and reading the hundreds of other threads on this same topic.

And she'll find this reply in just about every one of them :lol:

:thumbup: Welcome to TPF Sam! :camera:, and I have moved the thread to a forum appropriate for your request for DSLR camera recommendations.

When people ask me I just tell them go for a Canon rebel model. But of course you should give more details such as budget, what will it be use for, etc.

I have just been in the same position. I looked at both canon and nikon but although canon was slightly more user friendly I went for the Nikon D5100 as the price you can buy the camera and twin lens kit could not be beat. After playing with the Nikon 5100 for a while it becomes quite user friendly once you are used to it.

I was after a twin lens kit and could not justify paying the extra for canon cameras of the same sort of level as th Nikon d5100 when there is not much differance in the way of picture quality.

This is just my opinion, hope it may help in some way.

Most reactions

Back