Advice on Learning Photoshop

theraven871

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to learn Photoshop after several years of noticing that other Post Processing software doesn't provide the final results I'm looking for.
I'm most interested in Portrait, Glamour, Boudoir, Wedding etc photography.
What are some good places to start learning? What tutorials do you recommend for some of the awesome "looks" I've seen people create in photoshop?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Google and youtube have everything you could ever ask for.

Find a local college and see if they have photoshop classes

My two cents...

If I were teaching someone about photography, I would start with the 2 (in my opinion) most important and basic aspects of photography....

First, learn about the exposure triangle. What is needed to create a photograph. Understand ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture settings. Learn how these settings work and how they relate to each other.

Secondly, learn about composition. How to frame and lay out a photo. Learn the rule of thirds and other "rules" of composition. What elements add or take away to create a photo...

There is much more to photography than just these two areas... But that is the place I would start If I were teaching someone.

And remember.... Google and YouTube are your friends. There is all sorts of awesome info that can be found on the internet (and in most cases, it's free).

My two cents...
If I were teaching someone about photography, I would start with the 2 (in my opinion) most important and basic aspects of photography....
First, learn about the exposure triangle. What is needed to create a photograph. Understand ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture settings. Learn how these settings work and how they relate to each other.
Secondly, learn about composition. How to frame and lay out a photo. Learn the rule of thirds and other "rules" of composition. What elements add or take away to create a photo...
There is much more to photography than just these two areas... But that is the place I would start If I were teaching someone.
And remember.... Google and YouTube are your friends. There is all sorts of awesome info that can be found on the internet (and in most cases, it's free).

I've been shooting Photography for over 25 years.
This wasn't a post about "Help me learn Photography".
I was asking for help learning Photoshop.

I think you saw "Photoshop" and your brain interpreted "Photography".
:)

Photoshop is incredibly intricate and the most important issue is not using the tools but deciding what you want to do.
Think of an incredibly complex toolbox. Just learning how to use every tool won't teach you how to build a house.
I would use the built-in Adobe tutorials to learn to set it up and the basics about all the tools.
Then I would learn how to do selections in various ways
Then from there I suggest you start diagnosing what changes you want to make and then look for tutorials that show you how to implement those changes.

I just saw that you have marked that your photos are not to be edited.
Believe me that is the wrong way to go if you are trying to learn editing yourself because it is damn impossible to convey adequately in words what a simple image will demonstrate.

I've been shooting Photography for over 25 years.
This wasn't a post about "Help me learn Photography".
I was asking for help learning Photoshop.

I think you saw "Photoshop" and your brain interpreted "Photography".

Yup... I misread... I did see "photography" sorry.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back