Advice on Lens

piggle5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thedailyphotoblog.tumblr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just hoping someone would be able to help me decide what kind of lens to get. I really can't decide which to get, a fixed lens or a lens that gives me more zoom. I'm currently working with the 18-55 that came with my camera but don't know if I want to get more zoom or get a fixed lens. A guy that I talked to at a camera store in the area was sort of pushing a fixed lens but also said that the zooms were good too so I dont know what to do. Any input would be great.

Are you looking at a fixed lens that is longer than your current kit?

look at your favorite pics from that cam setup. and look at the focal length they were shot at. if you think most of the images need to be cropped, you probably need a longer zoom.

It's also going to depend of what type of photography you want to do. Generally fixed lenses are going to be faster which might be helpful if you are working in low light or are taking action type shots. If you just want an all-around lens, a decent zoom might be what you are looking for. If you let the forum know what your needs are, a better suggestion can be made for you.

Get a 50mm f/1.8

It should be the cheapest lens you can find, and at $75 - 100 the best for the money. It'll allow you to shoot in lower light with faster shutter speeds, and it's an awesome portrait lens. After that get a 70 - 300mm, if you're using Canon get the $199.99 version. No need to waste money on IS that (IMO) a half-decent photographer doesn't need anyways. Next get yourself a mid range f/2.8 such as a 24-70mm or such. By this time you should have a pretty good idea of what you enjoy shooting, and what you need next.

To find good deals on lenses check craigslist and your local pawn shops. It's not very often, but every now and then a nice lens will show up in a pawn shop for dirt cheap. Just take your camera in to make sure it works and check for scratches, dents, fungus, etc. I know that in my area most of the pawn shops have yet to realize that the Canon EF lenses that people are pawning with their 35mm cameras will work on a DSLR just fine and I've found a few for really cheap.

The fixed lens I was looking at was actually the 50mm f/1.8 that scorpion_tyr suggested and thats probably what I will go with. I kind of want to try out photographing concerts and I've been told before that the fixed 50mm is a good choice for that. I think I can handle sticking with the lens that came with the camera for a while longer since it is a pretty decent lens. I was just wanting to get a lot more zoom but thats probably not as important since it wouldn't really be trying anything new, just giving me more range. The fixed lens is going to give me a pretty fresh experience. Thanks for the responses!
And thanks for suggesting pawn shops, I never even would have given that a though.

The nifty fifty does well for concerts. If this is really where you what you want to be shooting, perhaps even see if you can find a cheap used copy of the older canon 200mm 2.8 prime lens, it's an awesome lens (though somewhat less versatile than the 50mm) and if you go to a concert armed with and the 50mm 1.8 you should be able to get some pretty decent shots.

The important factor is the focal length. You can set your current camera lens to 50mm, take a peek in the viewfinder (in the concert) and see if it is good enough for your as far as focal length concern. In other words, you can see if 50mm is too long or too short for you. If it is fine, then the 50mm f/1.8 (or f/1.4) is going to help. If not, you may need to look for lens in different focal length.

The important factor is the focal length. You can set your current camera lens to 50mm, take a peek in the viewfinder (in the concert) and see if it is good enough for your as far as focal length concern. In other words, you can see if 50mm is too long or too short for you. If it is fine, then the 50mm f/1.8 (or f/1.4) is going to help. If not, you may need to look for lens in different focal length.

I bet getting better seats at the concerts would be less expensive than going for a 70-200 f/2.8 :lol:

I bet getting better seats at the concerts would be less expensive than going for a 70-200 f/2.8 :lol:

But you can use the lens many many times in many different situations. And at the end, you can sell the lens back if you like. :D

So my parents just got me a 55-200mm lens for my birthday which means that I am going to save up for the fixed lens...That was easy ha. Guess I really didn't need this thread after all but thanks for everyones input.
Dao, I probably will do that because I'm going to a friends show this weekend and there shouldn't be too many people there so it should give me a good idea on focal length. Thanks for the tip!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back