Advice on M/L39 lenses

OK. I now have some experience with removal of the top plate on a Leica IIF.

Crap ... it appears that the real problem with the camera is a missing rear lens on the rangefinder port.
The lens on the viewfinder port is there.

Gatta hunt down a part now.

Leica Screwmount

You might Email DAG. The part should be the same as the IIIf and IIIc.

Can you post some pictures? Never know if the Russian part will work, I doubt it but might be worth a look.

Ah, asked DAG already ... they have none to sell.
I think it is the same lens on the IIIF.

Rangefinderforum.com

42 216-477

... now, being a Leica newbie, I am assuming the missing lens is the reason why I cannot see a clear image through the rangefinder.

Last edited:
The link does not work if you do not have a working RFF account. I might be the first Moderator to bypass the software that prevents a Mod from banning themself.

Missing the eyepiece will make everything a complete blur. If the viewfinder is black- like what happens on an M3, coupld be a split prism.

The IIF has a one-piece body cover, the older Barnack cameras up to and including the IIIb have a separate top plate.

If you cant find a good Leica SM rangefinder, i highly recommend the Canon leica screwmount rangefinders. I personally like them better and may be priced a bit better for budget. It found much more use than my leica. There are several advantages to the Canon.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The link does not work if you do not have a working RFF account. I might be the first Moderator to bypass the software that prevents a Mod from banning themself.

Missing the eyepiece will make everything a complete blur. If the viewfinder is black- like what happens on an M3, coupld be a split prism.

The IIF has a one-piece body cover, the older Barnack cameras up to and including the IIIb have a separate top plate.

Ah, that link was to a discussion about someone else that is looking for the exact same lenses.
Yeah, the rangefinder is a blur ... I can only make out things if they are almost right up close to the camera.
I have taken the top plate off and can see that the view/rangefinder is good ... so it appears the only problem is the missing lens.

If you cant find a good Leica SM rangefinder, i highly recommend the Canon leica screwmount rangefinders. I personally like them better and may be priced a bit better for budget. It found much more use than my leica. There are several advantages to the Canon.

Yup, ahead of you there. Just got a Canon 7 today.
It was supposed to be a parts/repair camera as the seller stated the shutter does not open completely ... I can't find any problem with the shutter at all speeds. Looks like I lucked out.

Ah, got lucky on a Canon P with Canon 35mm f/2.8 lens ... should have it an a week or two.

Think I will stick to Canon screw mount lenses ... seem reasonable in price.
Hmm, maybe I should take a chance on getting the Canon 50mm f/1.4.

The Canon 50/1.4 is a very good lens, again- be careful of haze/etching on the surfaces on each side of the aperture.

48mm filters, easier to find than 40mm. The lens is well balanced on the Canon 7. I like to use a smaller Sonnar formula lens on the Canon P.

Attachments

• $canonf14_2.jpg
    $canonf14_2.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 154
  • $canonf14_3.jpg
    $canonf14_3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 139
Lots of "hazy" LTM lenses out there ... very tempting prices, but haze is a risky thing.

Yeah, that was my thinking also ... my 7 would look better with a larger lens.

The modern Cosine/Voigtlander 50/1.5 in LTM goes for $50~$100 more than the Canon 50/1.4, and less that the 50/1.5. With the new M-Mount version coming out, I would keep an eye on the classified ads on various forums for people "upgrading". This lens and the 35/1.7 Ultron are under-rated and a real value. The Ultron is much better than the Canon 35/2, cost about the same these days.

The Jupiter-12 is a Zeiss Biogon copy. Good ones are quite good- I've used one with the M8 and M9.

Be careful with a Canon 7 and Canon P: rear element can hang on the light baffes of the body.

So now I have two lenses ... both in great optical condition:

Canon 50mm f/1.8 chrome (type 3)
Canon 35mm f/2.8 chrome/black (type 5)

I am still coping with how physically small the 35mm is ... especially on my Canon 7 body.

Still have not landed the 50mm f/1.4 ... still trying.

I am getting a Chiyoko (Minolta) Super Rokkor 5cm f/2 soon ... with a Minolta-35 (hopefully in working condition).

Most reactions

Back