Advice on Minolta lenses for Sony?

Genocide

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, currently I have a Sony A200 and only have the kit lens :( So I'm looking to expand, and saw that some of those Minolta lenses look like a bargain.

Though I'm not completely certain which lenses will work, could anyone help?

Was looking at these auctions:

Minolta Dynax 700si, Sigma Lens and Flash for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Minolta Dynax 500si SLR + Lenses & Accessories for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=247046456

I was also looking for advice on buying this lens:

MINOLTA AF 50 f1.7 lens - Superb !! for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

I know it will work with the A200, but is it worth it? It looks like a good portrait lens.

All of those prices are NZ dollars.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I was also looking for advice on buying this lens:

MINOLTA AF 50 f1.7 lens - Superb !! for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

I know it will work with the A200, but is it worth it? It looks like a good portrait lens.

All of those prices are NZ dollars.

Thanks.

The Minolta AF 50 f. 1.7 lens tested out better than the f. 1.4 lens by Popular Photography and is worth about $300 and change new. The $199 buy now price is probably realistic, if it is in excellent condition. I would probably not bid beyond $150 assuming that I was confident that every other factor was accurate and legitimate including of course the reputation of the seller and delivery details.

I however relate to Canadian or American dollars and have no idea how NZ dollars fits in to this perspective.

skieur

Thanks for the advice. $150 US = around $200 NZ.

Apparently there is a minor fungus on the rear of the lens. Would this still be a good purchase anyway?

Thanks.

Also, I would appreciate some help on that 700si auction. Would that Minolta flash work with the Sony Alpha A200? Same with that Sigma lens?

Cheers.

I bought the Minolta 50/1.7 a couple of years ago for about $50-60 on ebay. It had a small nick on the casing and came without a lens cover, but it works like a charm.

I highly recommend that lens, and I think if you looked around a little more you might be able to find it for cheaper....but I'm not sure how pricing is in New Zealand.

Apparently there is a minor fungus on the rear of the lens. Would this still be a good purchase anyway?

Thanks.

Fungus on the lens is a bad deal. I would skip it. It may be small now. But may expand larger as time goes on. Best to keep looking.

Thanks.

Fungus on the lens is a bad deal. I would skip it. It may be small now. But may expand larger as time goes on. Best to keep looking.

I would totally agree.

skieur

Thanks for the tip.

The buy now on that one with fungus was $200, and a new Sony 50mm f1.8 is $280. Would you say it is best to just spend the extra $80 and get a new, modern lens? (SAL50F18)

The other approach is to look at pawn shops in small towns. I found a Minolta autofocus camera with 2 lenses for 300 dollars. The lenses were worth more than that irrespective of the camera.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back