Advice on my next piece of kit please.

Rex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last year I bought a Canon 30D with an EF-S 18-55mm lens. This is a great camera and I'm really enjoying getting to know it.

What would you advise me to get for my first piece of kit to go with it? The kind of photography I seem to take most of is days out with my girlfriend.

Rex

This is a hard one. What budget do you have to spend? Do you feel you lack something?

Canon 50mm / f1.8 II must be the first choice of additional lense.

Welcome to the forum.

Canon 50mm / f1.8 II must be the first choice of additional lense.
This is a popular choice because it's optically very good and the price is very good. I agree with EOS JD, we need more information before we can make a proper recommendation. What's your budget? What do you want? Do you feel that you want a longer lens? a wider lens? a lens in the same range, but of a better quality? Do you want or need a larger aperture?

The larger apparture of the f1.8 does sound appealing. What kind of ISO speed would you set the camera to with a lens such as this?

Rex

What kind of ISO speed would you set the camera to with a lens such as this?
That depends on the light you have the and settings that you want to use.

My rule of thumb is to set the ISO as low as possible at all times, unless I need a faster shutter speed.

Compared to smaller aperture (F5.6), using a larger aperture (F1.8) will allow you to use a faster shutter speed or a lower ISO...or a combination of both.

The 50mm range can be long on a 30D body. The Sigma 30mm f1.4 is by all accounts a great lens too but is more expensive.

Do you want a prime or a zoom? Do you need wider/longer? What's your budget? What is the main use for the lens likely to be?

When you go out shooting what do you wish you had? Do you want to take a wider shot or do you need more zoom? Everyone seems to be sticking with lenses, but what about a tripod? A good circular polarizing filter is never a bad idea...external flash...???

I would recommend the 50mm f/1.8 because how can you pass that up for $75. I would also pick up a 70-200 if I were you. But thats just what I would get to compliment my shooting style. You need to figure it out yourself, or provide more information for us to recommend things based upon.

Thank you very much for your kind replies, you've certainly given me a great deal to think about here. I'm so glad I found this site, I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time here.

Rex

Took your advice and ordered the 50mm 1.8 lens - can't wait for it to arrive. In this month's issue of Digital Photo magazinge they reviewed this lens:

Sigma 18-200mm 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 DC OS for Canon

What do you think about this lens?

Rex

Took your advice and ordered the 50mm 1.8 lens - can't wait for it to arrive. In this month's issue of Digital Photo magazinge they reviewed this lens:

Sigma 18-200mm 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 DC OS for Canon

What do you think about this lens?

Rex

Most lenses in the 10x zoom range are ok however they are best used outoors in good light.

An f6.3 aperture at the long end will result in very slow shutter speeds in anything but bright light although the OS will certainly help with this.

I think something like a 70-200 f4L would be a better acquisition. And when you can swap out the kit lens for a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 or a 28-75 f2.8.

Faster lenses are so much more useful. You'll get a hundred different replies from a hunderd different people advising on what to buy and it's a hard choice.

Play around with the 50 as it's a cracking lens for the money. Fixed focal length means you need to use your feet to zoom but it's sharp and the large 1.8 aperture allows shots in low light.

I prefer faster lenses - and I prefer not to use variable aperture lenses (although I do own one).

Do you have a budget?

I have an old Tamron 28-200. At long end the apperture goes as small as 6.3.
In bright sunlight, if I compare the photo taken with Canon 70-200 at 200mm /f4 versus Tamrol 200mm/ f6.3 would they be substaintially different from an amature's point of view?
I sometime wonder that whether any of these hi-fi lenses used by newbe or an amature who is indulging into this only for fun!
My life starts with family photo and ends with may be some nature while travelling.
Unless one makes money out of this, does the pleasure justify the spend!
Sorry if I am asking something stupid!
I know that this depends on how deep your pockets are!:mrgreen:
ketan

Firstly you have a really good body (Camera that is). So personally I would have gone for the 50mm f1.4. A lot more expensive I know , but just has the edge.. Not to worry 'cause you will get really good service from the f1.8.
You need to ask yourself what is missing..? There is more gear out there than you can shake a stick at. And most of it will be of absolutely no use to you whatever.

Personally I would go for a good sturdy tripod. and a good quality flash. Spend a little on these items . they will repay you handsomely.

Play around with the 50 as it's a cracking lens for the money. Fixed focal length means you need to use your feet to zoom but it's sharp and the large 1.8 aperture allows shots in low light.

I prefer faster lenses - and I prefer not to use variable aperture lenses (although I do own one).

Do you have a budget?

I thought that all lenses were variable aperture...??

I think he means lenses that do not change apertures when you zoom in...

Most reactions

Back